1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest unnecessary expense.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JRTowner, Apr 15, 2012.

1. The man came into a lot of money when his wife died and the mortgage was paid off. He spent an absolute fortune in having a wrap-round conservatory built...everything was top-notch and it's amazing and beautiful but the cost.......we rarely use it and I keep saying we should just sit in it so he gets his money's worth! He also gets red spider mite on most of his plants too...despite airing it properly and buying things to treat it! He also bought himself a flash car which was written off a few years later when he did a 360 degree spin on the motorway when a tyre burst! (I hasten to add I wasn't with him when he made these purchases...they were all made about six months before we met.) I'd have erred on the side of caution if I'd been around.
    How to get through £90,000 easily....[​IMG] With hindsight we are often wiser.
    I frittered away a lot of my lump sum when I retired too...(some went in getting straight, paying things off etc) and now wish I'd stashed it all away for a rainy day.

2. Like Homeserve, I wish we had not bothered with extended warranty for our previous washing machine. After three years, the bearings went, which required a new drum. After over two months, this wretched part had still not come in, so it was agreed that we would be given a new machine, which took another 3 months to come.

3. This house. We moved area to get our chidren into the school we liked. It's a very popular school and, unfortunately, the house prices reflect that.
    We've got no regrets about moving here but, had we realised we were buying right at the beginning of a recession, we would probably have gone for something smaller.

4. Thanks guys, I am feeling better that I'm not the only one to spend a lot of money in one go and CK you're right I do think the painting is an investment!

5. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Bought a painting years ago. Sold some jewellery that I never wore to buy it and I have never regreted it. It goes with me wherever I go and I have had hours of pleasure looking at it on whatever wall it hangs. The jewellery would have just stayed in the box so I consider the painting money well spent. Enjoy your art purchase.

6. Many, many years ago, way before I eventually passed my test, my husband bought a two year old Ausitn Allegro. What a bucket! No wonder these cars were known as 'All-aggro'. As soon as one thing had gone wrong and been, usually expensively, sorted out, something else on it would fail; mostly the electrical parts and the suspension. In those days, which seem like affluence compared to now, we could only just afford to keep patching it up, but not buy another car.