1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest unnecessary expense.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JRTowner, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Building on from the post about economy brands and which are NOT worth it I wondered what folks have squandered money on needlessly.

Myself, well after a bit of a ropey time recently I spent rather a lot of money (which I don't have - yikes!) on an original piece of art. I looked at this painting and truly fell in love. I have "wasted" the money as there are other much more practical things I need but something pulled at my heart.
    I will collect the painting this week and I know everytime I look at it it will remind me that I came through an awful period of time and found "me" again. I still think: "Ooops what have I done?" but I'm not sure I necessarily squandered the money.

Please fellow TESers tell me what you have spent a large sum of money on to help me feel less frivolous!

2. I spent a whole fortnights pay on a cornet!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Am I allowed to say Mrs CrowBob?

4. Was it the world's most expensive Cornetto? [​IMG]

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Well it wasn't these...
    [​IMG]

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I've never had a large sum of money to spend!
    I did save up for a perm when I was much, much younger. It didn't 'take' so the hairdresser offered to redo it the following week - for free. It came out as a really tight bubble perm Total waste of money! Although I learned that I don't suit curls!
    And my orange and green platform shoes! Again, many years ago. But never forgotten! I never really considered the fact that I would have to walk in them! Severe dyspraxia means that I fall flat on my bum when I wear flatties! I never stood a chance with platforms!
    Oh and my first 'interview' suit. At school we were told we should buy a suit for our University interviews. We were grammar school girls - so no trouser suits permitted. I bought a pink skirt and blazer. It took me weeks to save up for it! I was never really a 'girly' girl - pink was never going to be 'my' colour. And this was a sort of baby powder-pink.I wore it for three interviews, got an offer and never wore it again! And I recall other applicants wearing jeans so the suit had little to do with my getting in!

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

so far, my years of driving lessons and failed tests [​IMG]

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Furniture online, which I bought because it was advertised as being the same wood as the dining table and sideboard. I did extensive research as well. When it arrived, it was shiny and not at all like the other stuff, which I do like. Mr F tried to tone it down and i tried to improve it with new handles, but it was never going to work. Went on eBay shortly after.
    The other was a car I had a few years ago. Totally impractical, but I loved it!

9. Was the rest just squandered?

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

11. A brand new trailer tent: cost a lot, took up loads of space at home, sold for much less after being used twice.
    It would have been cheaper to go abroad!

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

A holiday, booked the day after o/h had 4 malignant melanomas and 3 lymph nodes removed. We didn't know whether the surgeon had managed to "get" it all, but decided we needed to de-stress after all the treatments.

13. That wasn't an unecessary expense Henriette!
    Mine was a handbag.......that's all I'm saying.

14. Chocolate and jewellery. I did a rough tot-up of how much I have spent on jewellery in the last year - shocking. I daren't do the same for chocolate. If I gave up both I could retire.

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

but a retirement without chocolate is pointless. I would prefer to die on the job, surrounded by Quality Street wrappers.

16. Yes, and looking dead glam. Excellent point, Crowbob!

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Homeserve insurance. I realised the other day it was costing me more to insure with Homeserve against a highly unlikely pipe burst than it was to insure my entire property. I cancelled forthwith, and I don't like to think about how much money's been wasted over the last few years.

When I started supply work I bought an £800 Apple MacBook laptop in case I ended up working in a school with Macs. Two years on I haven't yet, and the MacBook is shamefully under used, so I'm forcing myself to use it with my new camera just so I get my money's worth. In hindsight it was a mistake to buy it, though it is a pretty cool piece of kit.

18. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Having my brakes done at ***ing Kwik Fit

19. Same ( mine was an etching) I don't regret it though - if nothing else it's an investment.

20. 'Buying' two new cars at once on a 4 year loan.... 3 years later and the £250 a month that goes on that loan is driving me insane. Can't wait for it to be paid off and will save the money up in advance next time!