1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest supermarket?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rooney1, Jan 18, 2020.

1. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

A random thought. What/Where is the UK's biggest supermarket? Just been to one in Romford that was double the size of anything near where we live.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

No idea, but nothing much over here compares with, say, French hypermarkets, as far as I know. As much as I love pootling around Carrefour, Auchon, Leclerc, etc, in France, I couldn't cope with anything that size for my weekly shop. I like a medium-sized supermarket best, where I can get around it easily and know where everything is.

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

There's a Terry Tesco near Worsley, Manchester, that's flippin' huge!

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

According to wikipedia:
    The largest shop in England by floor space is Tesco Extra in Walkden, with 17,230 square metres (185,500 sq ft) of floorspace.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Biggest Tesco apparently is the one next to the Ricoh arena in Coventry. Redditch is 2nd biggest. Not sure how these compare with other brands.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

That's the very one!

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

And the point is?

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

None whatever

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

upload_2020-1-18_14-51-43.jpeg

Yikes.

So we know to avoid it?

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Back in the early 70s,the first hypermarket,complete with a range of in-store shops was built outside of my town in France. This was really exciting as all we had were small Coops and the food hall in the Prisunic (I think it's Monoprix now). I remember my parents taking me to see it being built!
    Forward to now and the same shop is even bigger,complete with a huge range of shops outside. It's like a small town!

smoothnewt likes this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It isn’t a supermarket, but there is, I believe, a branch of Primark in Birmingham, which is enormous.

A local travel company clearly believes it to be noteworthy, because they have arranged several excursions to it from here on the south coast.

Not a jaunt I’d choose.

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Does there need to be one?

nomad likes this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When my girls were school-age they used to love going to the hypermarket on the way back to Calais at the end of our summer holiday so that they could stock up on their stationery essentials ready for La Rentree. So much choice and such good value!

moose2 and catmother like this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There are some ruddy huge suburban Tescos, it has to be said. Give me the local small town Aldi any day of the week.

That said, the beer and wine sections in UK supermarkets, however large the building, will pale into insignificance beside most decent-sized French supermarkets, and the French fish, veg and deli counters are like a different world.

In Austria I was surprised to find Spar supermarkets, whereas here they're mainly village shops, corner shops or attached to small petrol stations.

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I have seen it! There used to be a large shopping centre there which was gutted and turned into a single Primark shop. It is truly enormous. I didn't realise there were excursions organised. Good grief.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Spar is a franchise not a single company and most Spar shops in the UK are independent shops owned by 'small shopkeepers'.

magic surf bus likes this.
  17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Which one are you referring to? I'm quite near Romford.

18. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I once experienced it with a teenage daughter. Once.

cassandramark2 and Jamvic like this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Well short of the largest hypermarché in France @ 24,700 m2 :eek:

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Interesting thing about supermarkets I learned today is that if you pay cash to a checkout assistant, you'll get fewer coins in your change than you will if you pay with cash at a self scan checkout.

Also, you will never get a 10p or 50p coin from a self scan machine in your change. It isn't that these coins never get paid into the machine by previous customers. It seems that all the coins that get put into these machines end up in a container and the change comes from a different part of the machine, which has some sort of pre-loaded container that houses the change that gets issued.

So why no 10p or 50p coins?

It has to do with how many coins each nation has. Most of these machines are made in Yankeeland and are based around the five coins the Yanks use, whereas the UK has seven coins.

So if you don't want lots of coins in your change, particularly those annoying 5p coins, avoid the self serice checkouts.

colpee, smoothnewt and BertieBassett2 like this.