1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest Rick ( with a silent P ) on the planet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by aypi, Sep 21, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Blue whale

lanokia, nomad, garyconyers and 2 others like this.
  3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Piers Morgan

lanokia and nomad like this.
  4. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Very rarely do I 'like' your posts but this one deserves recognition.

nomad and LondonCanary like this.
  5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Boris Johnson.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Has he got a giant one of these?
    Screenshot_20200922-151519-02.jpeg

nomad likes this.
  8. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Helicopter, private train carriage, yacht charters, plane charters, royal flight, transport for protection officers, acres of newspaper coverage, huge houses and many of them, huge staff, expensive hotels, international travel.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Pure speculation, broad accusations and no actual facts, figures or numbers then. Define "huge".

International travel? Have you never boarded an aircraft or have you spent your entire life in this country? Ever stayed in an hotel?

At the very least I thought you had discovered that Charles has set up a cement factory in the grounds of Kensington Palace or was fracking for shale oil on the Highgrove Estate.

With regard to Highgrove, solar panels have been installed on the farm and the house is heated by a wood chip boiler, in addition, waste from the house is filtered through a natural sewage system, and the use of aerosols was banned in the house in the 1980s. What have you done to your house to make it more environmentally friendly? Do tell.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/what-does-prince-wales-do-reduce-his-own-carbon-footprint

I suspect his carbon footprint is larger than yours or mine, but then his job is different to yours or mine.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  10. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

No international travel in 19 years.
    1 200 mile flight for work (which I did not want to go on)
    1 50 mile flight for work (which I did not want to go on)
    4 100 mile flights, three accompanying a cancer patient and one to an Aunt's funeral
    stayed in a hotel 5 times in the same period, three accompanying the patient.

in the last 10 years.

House insulated in the loft, turned down in cavity insulation as it is wet and windy here and with rain capable of being driven through the outer layer the thought of soggy insulation put me off.

My house would probably fit in one of his many kitchens.

I do drive to work daily, 11 miles. I would like to ebike it, but any carbon saving would be demolished when I am flattened by a speeding car.

I doubt his solar panels will do much to save the planet by the time their manufacture is taken into account. They did obviously fulfil their sole intention which was greenwash.

magic surf bus and nomad like this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bet you he got enrolled in Northern Ireland's RHI scheme when he was over on one of his jaunts.

SeanbheanMac and nomad like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Pretty impressive. :) (And I do really mean that)

Personally I think that Charlie Windsor is genuine in his beliefs and does his best to combat climate change. Yes - he is often seen as a tree-hugger but does more, I think, than many others.

Many of the things you noted (acres of newspaper coverage, huge houses and many of them, huge staff) do not automatically equate to a large carbon footprint. After all, isn't employing a large number of people a good thing?

peter12171 and border_walker like this.
  13. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I have no doubt of his sincerity, it is his logic that lacks.
    A huge house will have a huge carbon bill. One house is enough for me. Luckily Charles, like Dominic is allowed to escape to Scotland whilst suffering C19 symptoms. One law for the commoners.
    Hang on, I do doubt his sincerity.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Point taken, but I think a lot of what you wrote about Charles is more driven by anti-royalist sentiment.

My bugbear regarding environmental issued is Formula 1. Not only because of the amount of fossil fuel vented in the races, but more about the transportation of personnel and equipment between races.

The following is from Quora.
    • The first thing that has to happen before anything is even planned, is for the FIA to confirm the yearly schedule. The cutoff point is around the middle of February every year, 1 or 2 weeks before the pre-season testing (teams travel there by trucks as it is in Spain).
    • Once the schedule is confirmed, the teams pack up non-vital and heavy equipment in 2 or 3 separate containers all containing the same things that will go on ships. Why 2 or 3 containers you ask? Well, because they contain all the garage equipment, tools, toolboxes, computers, pit guns etc. Anything that can be made in bulk. One container heads off to to the first race destination (Australia), the second goes off to the second destination and if close to the second one (by date), there is a third container that goes off to the third race. These containers arrive at the venues, weeks or even months before the Grand Prix and go into storage, so by the time the teams arrive on the week of the Grand Prix, most of the things are there and ready to be assembled, if not already assembled by hired teams beforehand. These containers are shipped by sea and usually take between 10 days and 2–3 weeks to reach the destination (depending on distance), so they have to be sent in advance.
    • When the first Grand Prix is over, they just go over to the next destination and start all over again, while the things from the first Grand Prix are packed up and shipped to the 4th race on the calendar (remember, the things for the second and 3rd race are already on-site), the things from the 2nd GP once over, will be shipped to the 5th race, and so on till the end of the season.
    • Now comes the interesting part, shipping the things you cannot make many of and are not cheap to make at all. These include the cars, engines, front wings, gearboxes, tires etc. These are shipped by air and will need to be at the destination 72 hours (maximum) from the ending of the latest Grand Prix. Because of this, as soon as the Grand Prix is over, the cars will be taken apart, packed and ready to go to the next venue the evening of the GP taking place (Sunday). If it is a night race, early next morning. The commotion and speed of the engineers and packers after a Grand Prix ends is mindboggling, they can completely empty a garage in 2 hours.
    • For European races, transportation will be done mainly by trucks. It’s the same process as with planes, except the cargo is taken directly to the next track instead of the airport.
    • In the case of the staff, they usually fly regular airlines to the next destination. A large company like Ferrari will fly over 100 people including put crew, mechanics, caterers, etc., from one race to another. The drivers and team principals and other high members of the team use private jets (usually rented or their own) and most teams and drivers even “planepool” to save costs.
    [​IMG]

Compared with all that, Charlie Windsor's carbon footprint is positively microscopic.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  15. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I often wonder how my life would have turned out if I had gone to the interview I was offered by the Williams team in 1988. I would not be writing on TES just now.
    It was a friend of another Aunt who offered me the chance. As I was not a petrol-head I declined.
    As for the rick, I could be a constitutionalist. He tries to exert undue influence, even on matters of education.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

While I agree that Formula 1 uses a ridiculous amount of air miles and fuel, there is no direct comparison with Charlie-boy for many reasons, and I find the comparison spurious. Comparing individual sports might be more telling. Love him or hate him Charlie does try to do certain things right, but gets stuff wrong too. Maybe I've got the "wrong end of the stick".

peter12171 likes this.
  17. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Did I miss the rule about not mentioning Donald Trump?

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Yes, it’s about people on the planet not those completely off it.