1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CB123, Jan 8, 2011.

1. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Any suggestions??

2. So the focus is writing a description? Then, yes a picture of an animal would be a good visual stimulus.I always remind them to use all of the senses though i'm not sure how long a piece of writing you want - probably only a paragraph. The only thing i would caution is changing the genre weekly: unless you're revisiting a genre that you've taught, will they know the features well enough to produce a quality piece of writing?

3. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Letters to a zoo to persuade them not to close/to give animals more space/better environments etc.? Non-fiction writing about an animal/habitat. Advertisements/posters for a zoo or safari park/holiday to country to see animals etc. Descriptions. Instructions for caring for a particular animal.

4. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Thanks for those ideas
    Alea, when I went to see Ross Wilson one of the main things I remember her saying was big write was not to be linked to your teaching. It should be a different genre each week. But yes the idea it is revisiting genres already taught. It is a fear that they won't know the structure well enough but I guess it will show me which genres they are more confident with and which need more work on.

5. Something I have done before for description writing on animals is made a 'who am I? piece of writing up myself using lots of description and similies and had pictures of possible animals I had written about. Chn have to guess which animal it was and then I explained the description I used helped them to guess which animal was without me telling them. I also discussed with them how the description had created tension for the reader etc. Chn loved this and then I had different pictures of animals at the tables and they had to wtrite their own 'Who am I?' pieces of writing and the class had to guess at the end what animal it was their peers had written about.

6. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I like that idea about 'who am I' Think I might start with that. Thanks

7. I try to do a Big Write about every other week- I have a writing genre for 4 weeks (ish) and the first big write is towards the end of the second week, where I get my class to write something to do with characters/setting in fiction and then in the 4th week, do shared/guided writing, and then Big Write in the genre towards end of 4th week.
    You could do things like write a letter to a character/ diary entry, do a book review of the text you are using, do descriptions for animals, write a play script/dialogue between characters- focussing on the skills you are teaching rather than the specific genre, but still with some links.

WIth animals, children could imagine they are an animal and write a diary of what they do that day. Or, they could write a letter to a zoo asking for information about the animal, or what about a report? If you're teaching year 4, you can recap the genres you've already taught in year 4, and recap the ones from year 3 too- that gets round the problem of the children not knowing enough about the genre, and also makes sure they can remember everything by the time they get to sats.