1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by justin11, Dec 29, 2010.

1. HELP! My school is starting Big Writing after Christmas and I am slightly confused about how it works! I understand the VCOP sections, the timings and the conditions needed. I am a Year 1 teacher and I am not sure how to make it accessible to them and the lesson structure to follow... any help would be great.

Thanks

2. It has always seemed to me that good teaching of writing is good teaching, whatever you call it. If your children are making progress, then you have nothing to worry about. The elements of Big Writing are what should be being taught anyway - you need to find your own way to make writing fun and accessible for all your class. If it is a new approach, then you should have had some training and guidance as a staff so you are all clear what is expected.

3. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

My new school does Big Writing. They are mad keen on it. I'm less enamoured, and this conversation I had with a pupil two weeks before the end of term is a big reason why:
    Me: Today you are going to write the opening of the story you have been planning.
    Pupil: So we're doing Big Writing? But it's not Friday.
    Me:We're not doing Big Writing.
    Pupil: So we're not doing any writing?
    Me: Yes, you're writing the opening paragraph to your story.
    Pupil: So we're doing Big Writing then?

Gahhhhhh.

4. Yes, and what about writing across the curriculum? Big Writing is all about ticking boxes, valuing what can be measured rather than measuring what is valued. As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan myself. Children should always produce quality pieces of writing, whatever the subject.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The VCOP part is just good teaching of writing that should be happening all week.

The extended writing is just an irritating weekly writing test that takes forever to mark and is a waste of a lesson. (In year 6 it is 45 mins!)

What happened to the importance of spelling and handwriting?

I'm not a fan either. Oh and it takes up a huge amount of display space!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you check of the 5 basic skills that should be taught you will find spelling/phonics and handwriting are esential parts of daily teaching sequence and it seems to be your school display policy to put up the displays you are told to, so I would suggest that it is in fact your school's use of Big Writing that is the issue.