1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing

Discussion in 'English' started by petelh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Not sure about the vcop over content argument at all. VCOP is skills based-and can be applied to any type of writing. In terms of marking, the long piece of writing that children do has ALWAYS been the biggest to be marked whether it is done in Big Writing or something else. It deserves to be marked properly as the children have worked hard to produce it. The Criterion Scale , which I assume you are talking about, should not be used evry week so the time for marking will probably be an hour and a half to two hours in my experience.
    Assessment of writing (when the tasks are assessed against the Criterion Scale) provide levels but much more importantly, they identify specific and individual targets for children to work towards.
    Schools should introduce the subject for Big Writing but the input at home should be talk based-not planning on papaere. The purpose of this is twofold-processing of information and iddeas fotr the writing task but also promoting talk at home.

2. I have also found this to be the case, struggling to find any critical analysis of Big Writing that I can use in academic writing. I have found that all of the literature comes from Andrell and is very one sided.

3. Welcome to the world of education, where schemes are adopted without any real assessment of their efficacy. VCOP leads to purple prose and pressure to use more challenging words and punctuation leads to SOME teachers giving praise to pieces of writing which sound as though the writer had been dining on thesaurus (no idea what the plural of that is!) since birth with punctuation scattered almost randomly across the page.

4. I am currently writing an essay on the big write.Currently lacking literature, i would love to read your study, would this be possible?

Many thanks,

Conor

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I didn't realise that big writing was a scheme.