1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing Non Fiction...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuart89, Jul 7, 2011.

1. We're currently looking at good ways of enhancing the teaching of non-fiction writing. Does Ros Wilson's Big Writing support types of non-fiction texts or is it primarily for fictional writing?

2. You can use her idea's across the genres. For example, give me a sentence from a non-chron report that starts with 'Due to...' Big Writing encourages the children to use good quality VCOP in all genres. We've just had the best ever writing results in our KS2 SATs thanks to Andrell's big writing, we've used the pyramid in our writing in all curriculum area's so there have been balanced arguments about evacuation in history and biographies of William Morris in art to name but two. All using top quality VCOP.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

They cross genres. We have done discussion texts, explanations, persuasive letters etc.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It's for all "genres" [​IMG]

5. Hi Stuart89
    I can send you some non-fic texts if you want them.
    Need your e-mail though.

6. We use Big Writing really successfully in our school the way that 2nd in command does- it is taught through every curriculum area. I think it works even better with non-fiction than it does with fiction (but I much prefer teaching non-fiction so perhaps that's why.)

7. Would highly recommend Alan Peat whole school
    approach to teaching non fiction. We adopted it 2 years ago and writing standards have risen impressively. His courses are brilliant fun and very inspiring.

8. What was it you found good Lizzy because I know quite a few teachers who really don't rate his materials. I'm a Big Writing teacher myself- Ros Wilson's courses are always fantastic and the great thing is that it can be used for fiction and non-fiction. It's great when you find something that works consistently and engages the kids . Just makes life easier. [​IMG]