1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing KS1 & Foundation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chinapanda, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Is anyone using Big Writing at the younger end of the school? If so what are you doing? We are getting the training in October but want to know something about it at younger end before then. Anyone got any info/ideas?

2. Is anyone using Big Writing at the younger end of the school? If so what are you doing? We are getting the training in October but want to know something about it at younger end before then. Anyone got any info/ideas?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use Big Writing from nursery to Y6. In nursery and reception we have a Big Talk which is recorded by an adult (scribed, taped or videoed) In KS1 children have a shortened version of the Big Write to KS2. We use VCOP throughout the school. In the Foundation Stage we have a WOW Word Wall and children bring in "posh" words from home to share and display and use in our Big Talk (story)

4. We are starting BIG WRITE too at our school. If anyone has ideas for Y1s that would be great. I will post any other ideas i get here x

5. Thanks all!
    Like the Big Writing idea!
    Anyone else?

6. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

I have Y1, we have a "Wow sentences" tree. We use leaves to write down examples of wow sentences to celebrate them. So far ours are quite basic but hoping to start having exmaples of powerful words and connectives too.

7. WE've just had the training and the Big Talk was suggested for Nursery and Reception but Y1 do the Big Writing. I have drawn a large Burglar Bill on my cupboard door, he has a very large sack and we put in great words or phrases tha we pinch from our reading. Children have been finding these at home when reading (something we've always struggled with - getting them to read at home. We have tiaras that we wear when we are using the 'posh voice' and the children are loving it.

8. Like concept of Big Talk, think at this lower end of school teachers can also model writing up a sentence someone says and model ways to improve with a wow word so that children are getting into that way of thinking. Would love to hear more about how you plan to use and focus the concept of Big Talk

9. Speaking and listening is a focus for us at my school this next year (well ONE of them), and I really like the idea of Big Talk. We have got the traning coming in a moth or two. This sounds like something we could translate throughout the school, alongside the Big writing.

10. L like the Big Talk idea alot and might think about integrating it in my KS2 curriculum - maybe the Big Science Talk day etc aswell as my P4C sessions as good talking leads to good writing so think it would be good our end too. I am doing this anyway in a way as I have ESL learners and I bought the scaffolding writing book and it has loads of ideas for talking tasks with ESL children - my whole class love the activities too and it is fun to learn science that way sometimes.So think this will all tie in aswell as the Big Writing!

11. I have some resources if you'd like some I'm happy to email you some help mats. These are for all levels so they are suitable for use across KS1 and KS2. I have two different designs.

My email is: teachingtimesavers@yahoo.co.uk