1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing in Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mitchthonholtz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. We have just started doing Big Writing, but I'm a little confused about it all. We were told to do about 5 mins of VCOP work each day - is this part of the literacy lesson or is this in addition to the literacy? Is the VCOP stuff like the mental & oral equivilant of a maths lesson, is it incorporated in the teaching part or is it completely separate? Also I'm assuming that in Year 1 the theme of the big writing follows what we are doing in literacy, so if we are doing poetry next week we can think if WOW words, look at punctuation,etc related to poetry & write a poem as our big writing at the end? Is that right?
    If anyone has any Year 1 Big Writing planning it would be much appreciated. I'm sure it's not as complicated as I seem to be making it!!!

2. We have just started doing Big Writing, but I'm a little confused about it all. We were told to do about 5 mins of VCOP work each day - is this part of the literacy lesson or is this in addition to the literacy? Is the VCOP stuff like the mental & oral equivilant of a maths lesson, is it incorporated in the teaching part or is it completely separate? Also I'm assuming that in Year 1 the theme of the big writing follows what we are doing in literacy, so if we are doing poetry next week we can think if WOW words, look at punctuation,etc related to poetry & write a poem as our big writing at the end? Is that right?
    If anyone has any Year 1 Big Writing planning it would be much appreciated. I'm sure it's not as complicated as I seem to be making it!!!

3. Hi, don't worry I was very confused when I started with Big Writing but I absolutely love it and more importantly it works! Hope this helps...
    The suggestion is that VCOP quick fire games are played everyday, but at usually 'dead' times such as when the children are lining up for assembly or getting changed for PE etc. Just quick things like 'Can you give me a sentence starting with 'suddenly'? Or use a game or activity at a suitable brain break opportunity through the day (such as Kung fu punctuation)... In the Literacy lesson, the games are quick fire, fun, and fast. VCOP games are played at the beginning of your Big writing lesson (for the start of year 1, VCOP games are played for 10 minutes then building up to 20 mins by Janauary, with the writing bit happening for about 10 mins then 20mins in January) Big writing lessons don't neccessarily need to follow what you are doing in Literacy,although they do tie in very well with whatever unit you are teaching, but you can also use the lessons as an opportunity to revisit different types of writing. You could also deliver the 'Big Writing' lesson as part of a DT lesson(writing instructions) or History lesson(dairy entry), so that children are used to writing for a variety of purposes across the week and applying their VCOP and 'Big writing' skills across the curriculum. I hope that helps!

4. Thank you mrscoco - that has helped a lot. The VCOP games during the week - do you plan what to do each day or do you just randomly pick something. We have the VCOP & Big Writing games for the IWB - are there other things available aswell that you know of? I like the idea of using Big Writing for other curriculum areas - hadn't thought of that. Ta x

5. I usually have a range of different VCOP games, the interactive ones are good but I also have made some up. I don't usually plan the adhoc games but I do plan the VCOP games when I am teaching a proper 'Big writing' lesson as I sometimes tie it into the learning objective or the text type eg like you said poetry I would play a game with wow words for creating images or pictures. Let me know how you get on...

6. Sorry - what is BIG writing? Never heard of it.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Big Writing
    In Y1 we don't do full Big Writing sessions. We start with 10 mins in the autumn term building up to a full write in the summer.

8. Hi all
    I am really struggling with the concept of Big Write and adapting it to Year 1 for the Autumn term. We intorduced big write towards the end of the last school year so my year 1's were all writing lengthy stories by this point and ready for big write. Our lit coordinator wants us to do big writing from the off in year 1 but I am struggling of how to do this when i have some child who are not able to write simple words or sentences and who are unable to work independantly. I also have a few chd who are unable to speak in sentences. I already do lots of VCOP stuff with them in speaking and listening and in guided work.
    Is there anyone with any idea of what kind of things i should be doing in the actual big write session when the work has to be independant?

9. Msz

We had the FS/KS1 training earlier.In FS and Y1 we need to concentrate on GHaSP rather than VCOP initially and also shorter sessions than KS2.
    The premise is if they can't say it they can't write it ...suggest you start with BIG TALK.

10. Sounds good - I was worried about our first big write tomorrow that some children will just refuse to do anything because they aren't confident with their phonics & will say they can't do it. I think the GHaSP sounds better - it's pretty much what I was doing anyway last year in year 1 before we started the big writing. I have heard people mention a 'gold book' by Ros Wilson - is this worth getting or not?

11. I completely agree with what you are saying, however our literacy coordinator is very much pushing that in year 1 we do VCOP and Big Write from now.
    I have suggested that I do Big Talk and although our coordinator has said that I can do Big talk, he also wants us to do VCOP and Big Write.

12. Msz

Has he had any Big Write/Talk training?

13. No not that I know of.

14. Msz

I suggest you look at the Big Writing forum and ask Ros or Alistair for advice. Big Write was never intended for Y1 in the format used in KS2.

15. Thank you for your advice I will check it out.

16. Hi,
    We do Big Write in KS1 but the Year 1 class tends to work on simple sentences at the moment.
    I have made some level 1-3 VCOP helpmats and display pieces to support the children with VCOP. These might be useful if you have to start introducing VCOP to your class.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290351725163
    I have been introducing some of the words slowly and displaying them on our literacy learning wall. I use a colour coded system. When I do modelled writing I write the wow words (V) in purple, connectives in blue, openers in orange and punctuation in red. Reading it out loud using kung foo punctuation appeals to lots of learning styles (VAK).
    I hope you find them useful