1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Writing - ANy Lesson Plans for KS2??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vodka_and_tonic, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Am really struggling to find lesson plans for Big Writing. There are lots of resources for displays, timers, warm up games etc but can't find any with actual topics and lesson plans! Made it my mission over Easter to find some but have failed.
    Can anyone help me??

2. fab208

fab208 New commenter

The idea is that you decide what you want your children to write about, often based on a genre the children are familiar with but haven't been working on that week, and there isn't a lesson plan as such. The purpose behind the Big Write is for children to write more freely and not to have had a great deal of input from the teacher to begin with.
    We don't do the full pre-break session. The teacher briefly talks to the class about what they are going to be writing about and goes over a couple of key points he or she is looking for, talks to the children and answers any qustions. They then have a short break, then are back in and start writing.
    Most staff use this to explore cross curricular writing or narrative or something that links to an event of the week. It's up to each teacher what to chose.
    The Gold Book from Andrell is very good for supporting the principles of Ros Wilson's approach.

3. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Sorry, I mean' questions' and 'choose'! I hate this keyboard!

4. lovely

lovely Occasional commenter

In terms of putting it down on paper, i would suggest the following 'boxes'
    1. Text type and features - giving the children an opportunity to re-familiarise themselves with the text they are looking at
    2. VCOP - i tend to do 4 pacey games that link to the text type. Eg..if you are doing story....V - look at picture of scary house...i want four wow words to describe it C - Can you add a connective to my sentence about the house? O - Choose an ly or an ing word that would make the sentence more exciting? P - Which punctuation could I use?
    3. Planning time - allow the children 10-15 minutes to brainstorm ideas
    4. Writing time - 45 minutes. highlight what the adults will be doing - which children will they be prompting/reminding their targets etc... Also, give 10 minute signals to ask children to check for VCOP

5. Sorry for delay in replying! Just wanted to say thankyou. Have used your ideas Lovely and it's really working well! Thanks!