1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Write in reception class!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kay49, May 20, 2011.

1. Since the introduction of Big Write I have used it across several age groups from Y2 - Y6 and as a teacher have found it quite good in improving writing. I do feel however, the older the children the more they get out of it. In Year 2 I still question how much the less able children get out of it when they struggle to speak a sentence nevermind write one down.
    As a parent of a child in reception I now have a problem in that my little boy does not want to go to school on a Friday because it is Big Write and he "hates doing the writing job". ALL 30 children in the class sit down together and are made to write - regardless of ability. I am of the opinion that this is wrong and do not want my child to be put off! I have spoken to the class teacher who is in agreement but is told by higher powers that this is what they have to do!
    I have suggested 'Big Talk' - anyone experiencing a similar situation and what are the recommendations for when to start Big write?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well that's a good way of putting children off writing! He's in reception ***. My son is in year 1 and I would hate for him to have to sit down for a long time being forced to write. I'm really annoyed because I know children in year 1 should be engaging in a wide range of hands on activities yet I get the impression his teacher is very focussed on writing and other sitting down activities.
    What do other parents think? I feel sorry for the teacher - just more pressure to do as they tell you to do. What is the evidence for big writing in reception?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

<h1>Talk the Big Talk</h1> [​IMG]
    The 'Big Writing' / Power Writing approach, which has been
    proved to dramatically raise standards in pupils writing, is based on
    the premise that, "If a child can't say it a child can't write it."
    In 'Talk the Big Talk', Ros. Wilson explores issues around talk,
    reasons why so many children are currently suffering from forms of
    language deprivation and strategies to raise standards in talk and thus
    further raise them in writing. She advises on the 'Three T's', 'Talking
    to Learn', 'Talking about Learning' and 'Learning to Talk', based on the
    recommendation that all teachers at all phases of education are
    teachers and models of language.
    This publication explores 'The Big Talk' both as a strategy for children
    who are not yet writers, whether it is because they are not yet ready
    to write, they are in the early stages of learning English or they have a
    special need that makes the process of writing difficult, and as an
    ongoing planned strategy to develop and enhance pupils' language skills.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use Big Talk in reception and Y1 and early Y2

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I teach year 6 and cannot honestly say that many of my class have got anything at all out of big writing. A couple are now more confident writers, but whether that is down to bog writing or other literacy teaching, who knows?

Only year 2 upwards have done BW since September, year 1 since easter and reception not at all. I would think many of reception could sit and write a sentence or two independently, but it would only be a 5 minute job, possibly in a group.

However, I cannot for the life of me see the point.

6. I had just printed this off to day to take into school! Above my whiteboard I do actually have the words 'Think it', 'Say it', 'Write it' and it is something I always encourage my children to do so definitely believe it should be encouraged with younger children. Might just treat myself to a copy so I have more understanding before I think about taking the issue up further! Thanks.

7. My friend - also a teacher is having a similar problem with her little girl. She doesn't want to go to school on a friday! Think writing is a hard enough skill without putting undue pressure on children who are just mastering how to form letters and words, never mind constructing sentences! What happened to scribing for children?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Does anyone know where I can get that book? Amazon don't seem to have it.

Thank you!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It does and thank you very much.