1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Talk for Big Write in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Big Write isn't really meant for reception or Y1. Have you had the Big Talk training too?

2. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

No we only had whole school Big Write and although sometimes it said Year1-6 she was saying Foundation could be involved as well. As my Rec teacheris running it I thought I should perhaps do more Big Talk. Msz did you do any when you were in Foundation.?

Does anyone else?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We did our own version for a number of years when the rest of the school used Big Write then we had a whole school inset on Big Talk with Alistair (abcdoes) much of which matched well with what we were already doing plus lots of new things too.
    [​IMG]The idea is beginning Big Talk in N/R and gradually moving into Big write in Y2.once a week we create a group /class story with one adult supporting the storytelling and another recording it (writing, audio or video recording)

4. Wow, Reception children doing silent writing for 15minutes? I am interested to know the value of a child sitting for 15minutes in silence, writing strings of letters! Does your Reception class have enough chairs and tables for all to sit at one time to do this too? I'm sorry to be negative, I'm actually all for more writing in Reception, and do guided sessions with groups in my class, but can't ask them as a whole class to be silent for 15minutes for anything!