1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big spiders!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Are they in your house, too?
    Had to catch three of them, last night - the old glass and paper ploy - and release them into the garden. They were huge! Apparently, they're comimg inside for the autumn.
    Look away, now, if you're squeamish: I took off my dressing gown the other day and, through my reflection in a mirror, saw a massive one perched on my shoulder! I screamed and brushed it off. The length of those legs! :eek:

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have a giant spider that runs across my lounge floor every evening, disappears under the sofa and then runs back under the video cabinet where it lives, my old cat sometimes looks at it, contemplates a bit of fun then usually roles over and goes to sleep. House spiders are harmless IME.

3. Dunteachin

I know, and they eat other bugs, don't they? But these are of horror film proportions!

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Trust me, (I am a Lecturer!) they are more scared of you.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

At least you don't KILL them! Daughter #1 does. Much to my distaste.

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Very similar thing here - we call ours Boris. Sometimes there are two of them and they then become Boris and Mrs. Boris.

lexus300 likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I always keep the Bug Buster to hand at this time of year, although we had one spider last week that was so big it could resist the suction:
    [​IMG]

8. grumpydogwoman

Doesn't that hurt them though, fg?

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I don't like the thought of hurting them, but I'm so fed up of removing them from the bath, that I leave a little 'ladder' of loo paper so that they can come and go as they please.

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

There's a market for spider ladders, methinks, cissy!

monicabilongame and cissy3 like this.
  11. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Touching wood frantically, nothing here yet. But when they do, there will be no mercy. Destroyed before they get a chance to breed or get any bigger.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have one of those cordless vacuum cleaners and if you take the pole off and are very careful, you can slurp up the spider, watch it whizz round and then gently set it outside. Mr F, who is phobic, has become a dab hand!

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

@y'all
    Leave them alone!

Rhoswen77 and monicabilongame like this.
  14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! the clue is in the name "house" spider. Put them outside, they come back in.

To dispose of these spiders a well aimed slipper or copy of the Radio Times is the answer. there are millions of 'em, culling a few is ok. All that farting around with cups and stuff is a waste of time, and effort

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Perhaps they could spend a comfortable winter in the garden shed?

16. Dunteachin

I didn't say it was a house spider, did I, Jacob? No. They are outdoor spiders that come in for a bit of a warm.
    I heard it on the news, so it must be right. ;)

Anyway, I don't want to squash them with a rolled up copy of the Times - it'll make a right mess!

cissy3 likes this.
  17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Spiders are lovely :). I just leave them alone unless they're hanging in a doorway and blocking access.

Ours are called Boris, Doris, Maurice or Horace depending upon which name we think suits them.

Noja and cissy3 like this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

I love spiders too. I'm the spider-saviour in this establishment.

RedQuilt likes this.
  19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Me too, gdw, although my youngest child has almost completed her apprenticeship in Spider Relocation Services.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I often have one above my desk, the nearby uplighter attracts insects and it seems to be a good spot to build a web. I always call her Florence..