1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big question - Will the tiling be finished tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, May 24, 2020.

?

Will the roofers finish the tiling tomorrow?

1. They will come and finish the job

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. They will come but wont finish the job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They wont come but the main contractor will come and finish the job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No one will come and the job will not be finished tomorrow

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our tilers are subcontracting to the main roofing contractor. It was very hot last week and after all I'd said I did give them plenty of drinks and they had a table and sun umbrella to take a break at. On Thursday we did have a minor disagreement about something however and they then took an extended break and left at the end of the day leaving stacked tiles and a ladder on the roof. On Friday the main man came to apologise, saying the subbie had hurt his back - possiible, its been tough work - but would be back tomorrow, were we alright with them coming on the Bank Holiday. He knew about the disagreement and we both rolled our eyes a bit. Then he came and took down the ladder and the stack of tiles because it was very windy and I could imagine all sorts of disasters. He thought if the subcontracted tilers didn't turn up - they are paid by the day - he might not be able to get one of his other teams to work on a Bank Holiday and they've got a load of work on so ……..

So, what will happen tomorrow. Does the subbie want the work - it should just be one more day for him -maybe he started another job on Friday, did he really hurt his back, is he sulking, will the main contractor get a couple of his regular lads to work. What do you think.

2. WB

WB Lead commenter

I think your tiling will still be unfinished in a month's time.

lindenlea, mothorchid and Jamvic like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You didn't call him a tiler, did you? Tilers do bathrooms. Roofers are a breed apart!

lindenlea, Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

These things can turn into a nightmare, @lindenlea. I can only wish you well and fingers crossed he turns up and finishes the job tomorrow. If not, I would be ringing the main man early on and asking what he's going to do about it. Good luck!

lindenlea likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Oh dear. Never **** off someone who you need to keep the roof over your head. Literally in this case. :D

lindenlea and WB like this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Available, competent roofers round here are less common than rocking horse manure. Many will try to fit you in sometime in autumn of next year.

Jamvic and lindenlea like this.
  7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I notice that so far the vote is 100% for the roofers not arriving and the job remaining unfinished. What a pessimistic lot we are.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh heck! 100% not completed tomorrow. I'll let you know. I didn't actually refer to him as a tiler but he's the one fixing the tiles and the main man is doing the soffits and the bit of flat roof and I think of him as the roofer. I didn't mean to tread on his corns. Everyone agreed (;)) he was being unreasonable - even his 'oppo actually.

Bedlam3, Jamvic and sunshineneeded like this.
  9. mothorchid

Any sign of him?

Jamvic likes this.
  10. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Is a question of will the tiling be done before or after Cummings is out of a job?

lindenlea and smoothnewt like this.
  11. mothorchid

Or will either happen before a sharp cold snap in Hell?

ajrowing, lindenlea and Jamvic like this.
  12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Well I am sending Magic Fairydust your way lindenlea to help the roofer/tiler arrive

lindenlea and Jamvic like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It worked @lizziescat First the boss came and he was as surprised as I was that they were turning up . They've had a drink and are now up the scaffolding and now the neighbourhood will have tile cutting noises to enrich their Bank Holiday. Now lets send up prayers that they actually finish their bit of the job.

You're all CYNICS!

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D Really pleased to have been proven wrong in this instance. Nothing more annoying than half finished building work.

Lidnod and lindenlea like this.
  15. mothorchid

I am a cynic. And I am so glad I was wrong, for your sake @lizziescat although perhaps less so for the sake of your neighbours.

Jamvic and lindenlea like this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You will need this guy to get it finished
    [​IMG]

lindenlea likes this.
  17. WB

WB Lead commenter

Is it finished?

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So my Magic Fairydust works!! ? o_O:eek:

Off to try it on the leak in the kitchen

edit:( Magic Fairydust appears to work just once:(

mothorchid likes this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well they haven't finished but I now do believe they will come back tomorrow. Cutting the tiles to fit round velux windows etc. does take ages. Tomorrow should do it, surely. Then young Bill will come and do a bit of flat roof and some soffits. Now I'm opening a book on when the skip will go :) Could be tomorrow .

sunshineneeded likes this.
  20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

All looks promising, @lindenlea. Glad it's moving in the right direction!