1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big maths?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by makemsawa, Oct 12, 2010.

1. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of using Big Maths in their school. From what I've heard it's along the lines of Big Write (and I think it's the same person).

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Some of our staff are attending a Big Maths conference tomorrow
    and yes it is from Andrell

3. manic28

manic28 New commenter

What? Another bandwagon to jump on?! Fantastic news. Shocked my HT hasn't got onto this first.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Tafkam, stop messing about with fake usernames!!! Big Maths indeed!! Ha ha! Good one!

5. lardylegs

at £230 a pop, 'some of our staff' sounds a tad extravagant. Not all budgets are as tight as ours, it seems....

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I can't stop chuckling.
    What is it they say: truth is stranger than fiction.

I used to be quite good at maths - you know, degree and all that. But now I realise why I haven't got my children learning calculus in Year 7. Clearly the solution is that I haven't introduced them to CLIC. It's all about 'Learn its' apparently.
    I couldn't help but be amused by seeing The B.W.A.T on the same page.
    Surely a typo there, the bwits!

7. Msz

All the staff are going to see Chris Quigley next week so I guess not

8. Msz

Maths coordinator reported back that it's all common sense (not rocket science) and most of it is what we do already

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Well that might well be but do you do it BIG? I think not. You best get on the course.

10. Msz

Of course we do everything BIG !
    Don't you? [​IMG]
    Size does matter!!!

11. Milgod

I only do things big if i've been on a course telling me that's what I need to do.

12. Msz

believe me you need to do it BIG [​IMG]

13. lardylegs

Do you have to COUNT the raisins?

14. No no no lardy, you're not thinking BIG enough.....PUMPKINS!

15. I did the Big Maths Course last November. I've introduced it into my Year 6 class and they love it. Its based on CLIC - Counting, Learn Its, Its Nothing New and Calculations. It is just common sense brought together under the Big Maths Banner just like big write. The idea is based on doing 5 mins a day on each of the CLIC elements - Learn Its are the number facts e.g. times tables and all should be learnt by Year 4. I use it at the beginning of each lesson and the children enjoy the approach

16. Milgod

So . . . . . a lesson starter then? How much did this cost your school?

17. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ha Ha, quite. So glad my school has no budget to send us on this kind of thing. Love the pumpkins comment.

18. I have recently been on the course and love the idea behind BIg Maths, am planning to introduce it to keystage one and foundation staff this half term- any ideas on how to get everyone on board?

19. We started a whole school approach to Big maths by doing the weeklyLearn It's total recall tests. Good Luck!

20. Msz

We also began with Learn Its