1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big Maths progress drives - I'm confused!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frothycoffee, Feb 12, 2012.

1. We have just had training in Big Maths. I am now in possession of my CLIC folder, but on reading through it I find it a little bit confusing.
    I get the fact that you are supposed to teach little bits of each of the 4 areas. What I don't understand is this...
    Are you supposed to start on progress drive 1 and then progress drive 2, etc. in order?
    In the Counting section there is no progress drive for 7 - Counting on? Infact some other sections don't appear to have a progress drive.
    Also, I have been following the order of teaching maths from the pimary framework. Is it better to go with Big Maths instead and abandon that?
    I am in a right tizz trying to get to grips with all of it.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. We have just had training in Big Maths. I am now in possession of my CLIC folder, but on reading through it I find it a little bit confusing.
    I get the fact that you are supposed to teach little bits of each of the 4 areas. What I don't understand is this...
    Are you supposed to start on progress drive 1 and then progress drive 2, etc. in order?
    In the Counting section there is no progress drive for 7 - Counting on? Infact some other sections don't appear to have a progress drive.
    Also, I have been following the order of teaching maths from the pimary framework. Is it better to go with Big Maths instead and abandon that?
    I am in a right tizz trying to get to grips with all of it.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

3. Fortunately, I have never heard of this until now. I see it is yet another money-making idea that seems to stem from Andrell Education - the company that promoted the Big <strike>Wrong</strike> Write.
    My only suggestion is to run...run away.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Don't you just love it when people judge by association ...

5. Excuse my cynicism but I've been around the block a few times. It doesn't help that, yesterday, I finished marking 36 Big Writes (ranging from L3A to L6+) and I'm exhausted.
    Our kids actually adore The Big Write and it HAS made a difference to their writing. It's just the sheer amount of workload created by these initiatives that fills me with dread.

6. You need to look at the clic on your planning file in the free downloads and you should have been given as part of your training. It details which progress drive and step is appropriate for each year group. If they need to go back to step one in a particular progress drive that is what we've done.

Have you got the little pupil books showing each progress drive? Children don't have them but staff do for planning. It's easier to look up each drive. I think you'll find the counting on one on there. They aren't that easy to see or pick out in the file.

We're going with bm for mental maths sessions and framework for rest. Bm doesn't cover everything e.g. Shape etc