1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big jump! Year 1/2 to YEAR 6!! HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HannaW, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi I have found reading other people posts really helpful so I have decided to write my own!
    I have been teaching in year 1/2 for 4 years since being an NQT and I am about to make the jump up to year 6! To say that I am worried is a serious understatement!!!
    I am looking for any helpful tips and advice to make the jump a less scary and easier one. Also I would be really grateful if people could point me in the right direction for useful resources or documents. I have to say the bit that I am most worried about is the maths, it is not my strong point and the thought of it at the moment fills me with dread!!
    I want to take on the role of a sponge and soak up anything people have to offer!!!
    Hannaw

2. Hi I have found reading other people posts really helpful so I have decided to write my own!
    I have been teaching in year 1/2 for 4 years since being an NQT and I am about to make the jump up to year 6! To say that I am worried is a serious understatement!!!
    I am looking for any helpful tips and advice to make the jump a less scary and easier one. Also I would be really grateful if people could point me in the right direction for useful resources or documents. I have to say the bit that I am most worried about is the maths, it is not my strong point and the thought of it at the moment fills me with dread!!
    I want to take on the role of a sponge and soak up anything people have to offer!!!
    Hannaw

3. Try to get into the current Y5 class to get to know them and see what they're capable of. They'll be much more independent than your current class and will produce much, much more work. You'll love it as they have a great sense of humour and tend to get on with things without too much help but you'll need to get used to the marking as it can get out of hand quite quickly.

You might also enjoy the fact that most of the parents will think you've had a promotion!! In our school they think the cleverest people get to work with the oldest children!