1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big frights

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Most recent that I can think of is the crazy woman who pulled out on us when OH was driving.
    Thanks to my OHs quick thinking and quick reflexes we managed to spin out of the way and avoid a collision!

2. Forgot to say CK....I'm not surprised you were shaking and freaked out! Hope you aren't too bruised :(

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Years ago I tripped over a step at the back door and fell forward onto the concrete patio carrying one of my babies. I managed to turn over and land on my back holding the baby upwards. Bl0ody amazing what you can do to protect them, and bl0ody painful back as a result.

4. Och, I'll be fine. :)

Thanks though.
    Car accidents - another horrible intrusive thought/scenario...

5. Shudder.

And yes - it is quite amazing what you can do. Olympic gymnasts?? Pfffft.

6. My mum fell down the stairs when she was holding me as a baby. Somehow she manged to get all the way to the bottom without a bump or scratch on me! Have always had a phobia of stairs....wonder if the two are related?!

7. Had too many of those moments to remember - somehow always managed to get the kids through scrape free. I guess it is inbuilt into us!

8. I talked about this on Opinion, but I woke up screaming one night, thinking someone was standing over me with ill-intent. Horrifying. Nasty nightmares.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Years ago when I was carrying my sleeping 2 year old daughter I slipped on a wet slate pavement in Aberystwith and landed on my backside. I couldn't move and a kind passer-by pulled me up, my daughter carried on sleeping blissfully. It must be some kind of protective instinct that kicks in.

I understand the nightmarish fears too. My sister used to live in a block of council flats with balconies along the outside. I was always scared, when carrying my baby, that I would accidentally throw her over the edge. It couldn't possibly happen but the thought still turns my stomach.

10. Yes! I have terrible intrusive thoughts of dropping baby down my stairwel (it's a spiral one and you can see all the way down to the bottom) Horrid.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I was shutting the ducks in last night and as I straightened from their little door I came level and six feet away from a bloody big bushy bogoff fox standing on the duckhouse roof. I squawked like a girl, changed it to a battle cry and threw myself towards it. Luckily it had somewhere to go.
    Eeek!
    Poor wee thing with big shiny teeth.

12. lurk_much

everyone has them, they are normal but disturbing

13. I electrocuted myself once. The scariest thing was feeling the jolt through my heart - horrible.

14. Good God, airy.

You could have died!

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I was driving back from work one day, just down a side road that's quite narrow with parked cars, and I was going slowly, and this kid suddenly cycled into the road. He must've only been about 3. What he was doing out on his own on a bike I don't know......
    Anyway, I had to quickly swerve to avoid him, and was shaking the rest of the way home. If my reaction time had been slower, or i'd been driving faster etc, who knows what would've happened.
    I'm always stressing about things happening to my son. We live in a 2nd floor flat (I make him walk/clamber up the stairs by himself by the way and have done for ages!) and there are quite wide railings on our landing, and I worry about him falling through them.

16. My biggest fright has to be when my son, then 7, tripped at the top of the stairs, tumbled down and at the bottom i heard a crack. I seemed to watch his fall in slow motion.
    Inevitably he had a broken arm but he didn't cry.
    I now understand the expression " your heart in your mouth".

17. lurk_much

nick some of that orange mesh from a building site

18. I know! And it was so stupid - moved into a new flat and there was a loose wire at the back of the fitted wardrobes. I just put my hand out and pulled it thinking it was a wee one from an old light fitting...nope!

19. We were putting some decorations up to the attic tonight and I tripped on the top of the stairs and fell flat on my face. Apparently it looked quite funny from where OH was guffawing in the attic, but all I could think about was "what if I'd been carrying the baby?". But maybe I'd have contorted myself appropriately to save him.

I hate those close calls in the car.