1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Big business fights back against ban on single use plastic

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Oct 21, 2018.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Walking along a railway track yesterday I saw a lot of their bottles idly discarded.

Personally I'd demand that all products be in material that can be recycled.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

woollani and lanokia like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Those plastic bottles can be recycled. In fact PET and aluminium recycling are profitable businesses.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The tops are usually polypropene which is recyclable . The problem is that the bottles are PET and the two have to be separated before they can be recycled. The little band that is around the neck being a particular problem. The multi coloured versions of the cap is also a problem as mixed coloured plastics have little value to recyclers. There are a lot of things that could be done to make recycling easier provided people could be persuaded to chuck them in the correct bins.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

So are you saying that the most important thing is to make the tops from the same type of recyclable plastic as the bottle? If so, that's what I was saying, albeit less scientifically.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Hmm - go to a football match and the bottle top has to be discarded before entry! Not important, compared with saving the planet, I know - just saying!

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was mulling this over as I walked to the local shop for milk... lots of litter, all with a bar code.

I don't actually think we'd ever do this... but...

What if we did have a national ID system? And when we purchased something we had the barcode [or some form of ID on the packaging] tagged to our ID. If the rubbish is disposed of correctly, no bother... if it was dropped on the street... well it gets scanned and we get a monthly fine for the rubbish we've dropped.

So a can of coke £5
    All that McDonalds rubbish £10... same for any other fast food.
    Chocolate bar wrapper £5.

Obviously it'd really be a massive Big State exercise and I don't agree with National ID either... but it just annoys me how much rubbish is left littering around.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It would end buying drinks/food (or anything) for other people... And what about foreigners who might drop something?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It would be far better if that were possible. Unfortunately with plastics and in particular with moulded plastics, it depends on the actual moulding process required to make each part. Whilst plastics are given generic names, these usually encompass many variants.

Subtleties in these variants make them better for particular moulding processes. The bottles are produced using a combination of injection moulding to produce "pre-forms", which are mouldings about the diameter of the top and include the screw thread. A second process known as stretch-blow moulding then takes place to shape the pre-form into the bottle.

The cap is merely injection moulded; and doesn't require the same properties that the plastic the bottle is made from has, which will almost certainly make it a bit more expensive.