1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bible Study / Prayer Group

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by ck1ng, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ck1ng

ck1ng New commenter

Hi there,

I teach in a government primary school and would like to start a lunchtime Bible study/prayer group for any Christian pupils who want to attend (I know we have quite a few - whether they'd attend is yet to be determined). Obviously (or hopefully) they are getting various degrees of Bible study at home but I think it's so important that they have an opportunity to do so at school and see an example of it happening in "secular" society.

Has anyone come across something similar in a government school here? I've heard of it in Australia and America, however, I've never come across it in 15 months of teaching in London.

Thanks in advance :)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Not in a primary, but you can find Christian Union meetings in some secondary schools.

I think you will find it very difficult to set something like this up in a primary school, to be honest, especially if it is not a faith school. Schools, especially secular LA schools, are for learning, not for proselytisation - I suspect that if the children are from Christian families then they are probably already going to church or Sunday school anyway and getting their quota of Bible study from trained catechists.... and if they're not church-goers then their parents probably aren't that worried about Bible study.