1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bible for children - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by frankiej, Jun 17, 2015.

1. frankiej

frankiej New commenter

Hello,

I am RE co-ordinator at school and would like to use some of my budget to buy a children's Bible for each class. I would like a version for Key stage 1 and possibly lower key stage 2 and a slightly more advanced version for upper key stage 2. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to which ones to go for? Problem is when looking online, it's hard to see the content and whether it is suitable.

Thanks in advance :)

2. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

Can't claim any primary expertise (or much else for that matter!) but 2 possibles:

1. www.biblegateway.com is an outstanding resource - allows you to compare dozens of different translations, and as far as I know doesn't sell any of them, so avoids any particular preference.

2. The Good News Bible, otherwise knows as the Good News Translation, aimed deliberately at EAL speakers and children. It's been around the block a few times (NT translation published in '66, OT in '76), but it's still very effective for children. Its pre-clipart illustrations are helpful, and the fact that it's not the most accurate translation is unlikely to be an issue for you at KS1/KS2.

It is available on biblegateway.com if you wanted a look - it's a text-only version, but you'll get a feel for its level.

Good luck!

3. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

Are you aware that 'Bibles for Children' supply schools with free Bibles? I didn't know about it until a headteacher colleague told me. My school received a free Bible for each child (280).

See www.biblesforchildren.org.uk

4. frankiej

frankiej New commenter

Thank you for your responses!