1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Biased reporting by Laura Kuenssberg of the BBC

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, May 22, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Once again the mask slips and Laura Kuenssberg shows her hatred of one political party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48357017

"Then she took the risk of talking to the political enemy to try to get a different deal."

Not
    the opposition
    the benches opposite
    the left

but rather "the enemy"

I expect she will be leaving the BBC for the daily fail with remarks like that.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think your interpretation is more than a little over the top. She was describing what May did, not giving her own opinion. (Not that I agree with any Tories, ever.)

colpee and nomad like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Yelled across Downing Street from the press corral: "Prime Minister why can't you tell us the square root of minus two?"

I find all that nonsense irritating but otherwise I think she's sound.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

She's better than most who opine on politics, IMHO....

nomad likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Once again the mask slips and a biased poster shows their hatred of Laura Kuenssberg.

:D

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I do think she's getting a bit too big for her boots.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What is supposed to be wrong with the woman? I find her reports ok, except for the pointless shouting across Downing Street. She is far far less biased than Andrew Neil, if she shows any bias at all. Personally I think Neil is so obviously biased he shouldn't be on the tellybox in that role. Maybe its to do with perception.

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I suppose her shouting back "1.41i or there abouts" would have flummoxed most if not all of the press pack.

magic surf bus likes this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

An imaginary number for an imaginary question.

nervousned and sparkleghirl like this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

What interpretation? I am quoting her article.

Not her political enemy etc but the enemy.

12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

She shares your bias against the Labour party but that does not make someone a hater because they call her out on her biased reporting.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Too often I think she thinks she is the story. I don't rate her as a journalist.

Laphroig and monicabilongame like this.
  14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm sick to the back teeth with all of the politics at present that I've stopped listening to the commentators entirely. However, Laura is always good for a fashion check. She has so many coats and seldom seems to wear them more that twice.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I think John Pienaar is preferable, tbh.

16. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

Good grief. Is English your first language? It’s the subject’s perspective.

If she was writing about Corbyn...
    “then he took the risk of talking to the political enemy to try to get a different deal...”

...would that indicate she (or “the BBC”) was biased against the Tories?

17. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

There is a report somewhere that found Kuenssberg to be bias against the labour party and was found to have misled the public in reports about Jeremy Corbyn. I'd find it but I'm busy. Suffice to say she's a tory through and through.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

Not that I've noticed...

border_walker and nomad like this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

People are not defined by how we think they vote.

nomad likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

Something relevant to Laura (& other reporters):-

Broadcasters in legal bind over reporting on Tory crisis during election
    Strict broadcasting laws place restrictions on coverage of politics during voting periods

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-crisis-eu-elections-strict-laws-restrictions

The current thinking within the BBC is it would be able to report major factual developments on Thursday – such as if the prime minister confirmed she intended to step down – but would have to be careful about putting such a decision in the political context of an election.

To complicate matters further, the outcome of the European election result in the UK is not declared until the rest of the EU finishes voting at 10pm on Sunday, putting more restrictions on broadcasters.

BBC guidelines state: “While the polls are open throughout Europe, it is a criminal offence to broadcast anything about the way in which people have voted in that election or to forecast the election result, which includes how a particular party or candidate may have fared, based on how people have voted.”

Concerned broadcasters are wondering how to comply with this rule, with the potential result that politicians who take to the airwaves on Friday, Saturday or Sunday could be asked to avoid mentioning formal predictions or polling about the Conservative party’s expected drubbing – or the Brexit party’s anticipated success – in the elections.

As a result, politicians trying to displace May could also have interviews ended if they cite previous opinion polls predicting a poor performance in the elections, with the BBC considering how to minimise the potential for compliance issues.