1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bianca Williams: Met apologises to sprinter over stop-and-search

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kandahar, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Breaking news.

Interesting.. maybe the police footage can be released now to see if an apology is warranted.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-53307561

NB This story in the Daily Mail might explain why the Met have now apologised:

The Pretenders singer Chrissie Hynde says she saw officers stop athlete Bianca Williams in 'disturbing and aggressive' way and blasts 'out of touch' Met - as police force refers itself to watchdog over incident
    • Bianca Williams and Ricardo dos Santos were stopped by police on Saturday
    • The Pretenders star Chrissie Hynde has now revealed she saw the confrontation
    • She slammed police for focusing on innocent parents and letting gangs 'run free'
    • The Met has referred itself to police watchdog to investigate the stop and search

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-saw-police-stop-athlete-Bianca-Williams.html

3. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Yes.
    Public relations.
    "A Met statement said... 'Two reviews of the circumstances by the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards have not identified misconduct for any officer involved.'"

Always good to hear from Chrissie Hynde.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I had completely forgotten that name - something of a rather poor singer from the late seventies if memory serves. It's remarkable the extent failed celebrities will go to keep themselves newsworthy - notably drug user Mr Christie.

I think that the police owe the tax payer an apology for being so wet and grovelling to the wealthy.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolute rubbish, and a pathetic attempt at online bullying.

I stated that I was unconvinced. Nothing at all libellous about that. Grow up!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    lanokia, WB and DrLinus like this.
  6. Morninglover

Your comments also include 'Just how stupid can this woman be?' before going on to suggest that she made her story up. Makes it potentially liable, I'd suggest.

7. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

[QUOTE="Kandahar, post: 13196936, member: 26635407" failed celebrities .[/QUOTE]
    Somewhat perplexing that people should be judged as 'failed' simply for having moved on and changed or left behind the careers that brought them success and celebrity.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Then you would be wrong. (No surprise there!).

Opinions aren’t considered defamatory. It would be libel or slander to describe someone as a murderer if they weren’t convicted of murder. However, it’s not defamatory, slanderous, or libelous to call someone stupid as there’s no objective measure of stupidity. People can be convicted of murder, but no court can declare someone stupid.

"I am not actually convinced she saw anything at all" is an opinion, and no more libellous than the suggestions from other posters that Boris Johnson is a liar or once hid in a fridge.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/libel-vs-slander/

Oscillatingass and DrLinus like this.
  9. Morninglover

It's linking the derogatory comment with the other points you go on to make. Clear implication you think she made up her story to seek the limelight.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think you should request the post is removed otherwise you will be libel adjacent.

nomad and Kandahar like this.
  11. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Strangely that is exactly what some are saying about the excellent David Starkey.

Hypocrisy in action.

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

"... you think..."

Yup. An opinion.

Opinions aren’t considered defamatory. How many more times need I state that?

13. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Few would disagree with that.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Are you really calling Chrissie Hynde a failed celebrity? I don't seem to recall her being on a "celebrity" show,however,I remember the songs.

ajrowing likes this.
  15. WB

WB Lead commenter

The apology was inevitable.

An accusation of racism has become proof of racism.

No defence or explanation can ever satisfy. Once the accusation is made the accuser is awarded victim status.

lanokia, Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I don't really understand on what grounds you so easily dismiss her account as invalid. She says:
    "On Saturday I saw an incident that illustrates how out of touch the police in London have become. They pulled over a couple, made them step out of their car and were handcuffing them, surrounded by nine officers. The couple’s baby was left unattended in their car. No prizes given for guessing that the couple were black.

The incident was disturbing and aggressive, and the police van remained parked there for over an hour. The couple were innocent of whatever charges they were suspected of and were eventually let go."

She has some fairly specific detail in this account: the couple being handcuffed; the number of officers; the length of time the police van was there.

And now, reported on Sky:

"Speaking to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Dame Cressida said: "My senior officer did say I'm sorry, and I say that too, and if there are lessons to be learnt from it we will learn them.

"I am looking at handcuffing as a specific issue. I think the Met has come an enormous way, I say to other people, if you want to call us institutionally racist then that's a matter for you. It's not a label I find helpful.""

And then:

"Assistant commissioner Helen Ball, who also spoke during the hearing, said the video Williams filmed of the incident has caused the Met "concern".

She added she recognised the "anxiety" some communities might feel when watching the video of the stop and search."

The responses here certainly appear to support Hynde's account.

17. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Not necessarily. I don't think that Simon Harwood would have much of a case against anyone who called him a murderer. Legal conviction is not the only standard for the term "murderer".

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

To be honest, I am little bothered as to whether she observed the incident or not.

She says "There has been a surge of violence in this area over the past five years. The son of a friend of mine was stabbed eight times last year in broad daylight on the same street as Saturday’s incident."

The Met said the vehicle had blacked-out windows and was “driving suspiciously”, including being on the wrong side of the road. It said when officers indicated for it to stop, the car sped off. Officers caught up with the vehicle when it stopped on Lanhill Road, but the driver initially refused to get out of the car.

The occupants, were detained for the purposes of a search under section 1 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, the statement continued. After nothing was found on their person or in the vehicle, no arrests were made and the pair were released.

And then Hynde criticises the police for taking action.

lanokia likes this.
  19. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

She passed me by the first time round - then popped up again to get publicity by claiming women can sometimes be responsible if they're raped (2015). I'm not much surprises she's at it again. Some people can't stand being out of the news.

Yes - it is as though we have finally arrived in the Twilight Zone.

DrLinus likes this.
  20. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

On one of the videos we can hear him laughing at the police while he plays relaxing music and narrates for his phone video with no apparent intention of following fair and legitimate police instructions to leave his car.
    Here, from two minutes and forty-six seconds.

Kandahar and nomad like this.