1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beware scams like these!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

A thread to alert us of scams that are doing the rounds at this time of crisis and uncertainty. Please add yours - I'll start with this one:

[​IMG]

catmother, knitone and Jamvic like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cheers for the heads up...

Even in a crisis cockroaches still thrive.

catmother, ms honey, nizebaby and 5 others like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fortunately I'm not 'attached to my mobile' like many and so would automatically know that couldn't be correct as i wouldn't have taken it out with me.
    But on the other hand how does such a horrible set of circumstances bring out the very worst in people?

Jamvic, butties and nomad like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nasty stuff indeed

Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have been warned about scams targeting families who receive free school meals-asking them to follow a link to receive payment direct. All our families have been warned

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

No doubt there will be some nasty people taking advantage of OAPs: purporting to be NHS volunteers bringing 'supplies' or saying they are checking they are ok to again admittance.

Morninglover and Jamvic like this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Especially in a crisis. They also know that the authorities have fewer resources available to counteract their activities at the moment. Lowest of the low.

Lara mfl 05 and Morninglover like this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is also very patronising how some scammers now cannot even be bothered to try and fool you live, so to speak.

I have started getting voice messages telling me to call them back and give them money.

9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is where I do often feel sorry for MPs. They now have half a million people wanting to help the NHS and of course, they want to support and help the huge majority of those who are decent, honest and well intentioned people.

But they know - we all know - a group of these 'wonderful' volunteers are nasty, evil people out to swindle and sadly even worse.

If they demand enhanced checks they will be accused of delay and dither at the worst possible time, if they fast track everyone then some bad apples will get through.

Mind you, seeing how efficient the data checks are and how costly, many a volunteer is going to drop out anyhow when asked to get one.

(To be fair, my last one did only take some days...I am still in shock)

10. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Thank you morninglover , I will pass that on to my family and put it on Facebook as well .
    Scammers are opportunists I'm afraid and this crisis is one heck of an opportunity .
    Makes me so very angry .

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Bump for a very useful thread.

12. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

A once per week hanging in parliment square would sort most of these problems.

Or a local public stoning once every friday for bored A-Level students.

GCHQ should deal with the foreign cyber stuff spoon. I'm sure they will soon, in a quiet way...

13. hs9981

Soon, not spoon unless they're sexy....

14. hs9981

If so Boris has a clear 'track record' of getting the job done.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've been getting these for a couple of years. The best one was when my mobile gave the source of the call as New York.

Lara mfl 05 and dumpty like this.
  16. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Was that a text you yourself received @Morninglover? Or someone alerted you to it ?
    I had one saying a warrant was out for my arrest ! I was amused as I'd been in hospital with pneumonia !

Lara mfl 05 and dumpty like this.
  17. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

There are some truly appalling people on this planet.

Dragonlady30, Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

We are asking for DBS for our volunteers, unless known personally by one of the admin team.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Even then if they are to be in contact with vulnerable people I’d err on the side of caution & get a check done while they work alongside someone who already has been checked in the meantime.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter