1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Between the Covers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Oct 20, 2020.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Anyone else caught this ? Sarah Cox as the presenter is a waste of space. Richard Osman was a guest. Have read his crime thriller ( library copy ) and I thought it was absolute rubbish - what do I know ? I generally love anything to do with books / reading but this had me shouting at the TV.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Saw the first edition. She talked / shouted way too much and only one guest got a look in at all. I'd try it again but she needs to sort out her presentation skills.

minnie me likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I thought it was unbalanced too - ‘faux gushing’ also about one of the guest’s latest offerings - very predictable

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Never heard of it or her. Should I have done?

5. angiebabe

angiebabe Senior commenter

@minnie I'm glad you reviewed Richard Osman’s book for me as it sounded good but I shan’t be investing now, thank you.
    Sarah Cox just loves the sound of her good solid Northern accent (and I’m a scouser!) and proceeds to always talk over her guests in a ‘witty’ style which I find very, very annoying.
    The reviewing of books is a section of the chat show that she used to have but didn’t last - I watched 2 episodes in total.
    I’ll give Between the Covers one more episode.

minnie me likes this.
  6. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Yes. Go and stand in the corner and think about what you've done :D

mothorchid likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I caught the last minute or two. Usual patronising of established authors with new ones not getting a look in. Not really any worse than "Richard and Judy" to be honest. I am biased.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Am not a Ricky Wilson fan but was impressed with his choice ‘ Born Standing Up ‘ which I have on my bookshelf . Huge Steve Martin fan . Richard Osmond used the word ‘ amazing ‘@ 4 times - for a writer this is both telling and scandalous . To be fair though totally approve of his recommendation ‘ Life after Life - which was simply wonderful.