1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Between TA and Classroom Teacher (Appropriate Pay)

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ZinCoA, Sep 29, 2018.

1. ZinCoA

ZinCoA New commenter

Hi all, I'd really appreciate some guidance with the issue below. If you're reading and not sure how to respond, but might be able to point me in the right direction, please do.

I’ve completed my PGCE, but decided not to go into teaching, however, in the absence of a plan B did some work as a TA through an agency last year. This year I took a TA position offered directly from the school in inner London. They judged me to be at Scale 3, point 15, earning £17,757 per year. At the moment I take students out of lessons in groups of 2-4 twice a week to do English intervention and Lego Therapy lessons. After school I support students in ‘Homework Club’ and do reading interventions twice a week during Tutor time. This coming week I've been chosen to teach a small group of Y11s during tutor time who need support in Maths leading up to their GCSE.

I spoke openly about taking on Y11s for GCSE prep after school previously, but made it clear that I would expect to be compensated appropriately. It seems at the moment they have gone ahead and planned this, but thus far have had no conversation about money with me.

I called NEU, which I am a member of, but they could only be so helpful because my position lands somewhere between that of a TA and a Classroom Teacher. I was told that if I’m taking kids out and leading regular intervention lessons then I should at least be making the equivalent of an HLTA, but again the union couldn’t tell me what a HLTA could expect to earn. As someone leading groups of anywhere between 16-25 after school I should expect more again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really would love some help so I could negotiate appropriately rather than be thrust into a situation without having asked for suitable pay. Real figures would be helpful! Thank you!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi ZinCoA
    Much of what you have said would be quite usual for a level 3 TA - interventions, Lego Therapy and homework club. The small group of Year 11s for GCSE Maths support is also not uncommon; it would be seen as another intervention. However, it could possibly be seen differently if you are planning, delivering and assessing the GCSE sessions yourself. But many level 3 TAs will be doing this - the union are sadly not right in informing you that you should be paid as a HLTA if 'taking kids out and leading regular intervention lessons'. Level 3 TAs (and even Level 2s) will be doing this across the country.
    If you are planning, delivering, marking work and assessing progress yourself regularly, perhaps you should think about HLTA status. Are there HLTAs at your school? Look on hlta.org.uk and find out where your nearest provider of assessment is, or contact your LEA and find out if they offer HLTA preparation and assessment. Armed with the information you need, you could have a chat with your line manager or CPD co-ordinator. You would need to think hard about it - if your school supported you and you obtained HLTA status, they would probably want to use you for PPA and management time class cover - how would you feel about that? I've been a HLTA for several years and love the role, but I know it's not for everyone. As a HLTA, you would start on the bottom of Scale 5 - not sure how much that is, you'd have to google it.

Trekkie likes this.
  3. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

If you are working within your contracted hours I am not sure you are doing anything which would automatically expect a higher rate of pay. Small group year11 work is quantitatively similar to doing a maths intervention.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I would estimate that your pay is appropriate for your duties, however of course ask for as much as you can get away with!

and if you agreed to do extra for overtime pay, then don't do it if you don't get the over time

Fleecyblanket likes this.
  5. ZinCoA

ZinCoA New commenter

Sunshineneeded, Flanks, and dunnocks, thanks to each of you for your feedback.

The upcoming after school sessions wouldn't be planned. That would be up to me. I understand that there would be a minimum of 16 students, and a maximum of 25. What is appropriate to ask for in this scenario? (I'm happy to ask on the high end, due to evening volunteering commitments as well as creative pursuits which would be partially sacrificed. I take full advantage of the freedom being a TA allows me.)

For the intervention lessons that I already have in my timetable I plan and assess myself. That said, the level of planning and assessment for 3-4 students is nowhere near what I was doing as a student teacher!

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

If you are being asked to plan teach and assess for a full class of 25 after school, it would be appropriate to ask for what ever the school would pay a supply teacher for that hour.

Unfortunately, though, the usual with paid after school work is that it depends on the number who turn up, whether you get paid or not, even if it is agreed that it could be overtime, so its not necessarily money you can rely on. so you can get paid an hour if 20 kids arrive on time, but zero if its 19.

7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

As hlta in secondary science a few years ago I was on £26,500 pro rata tto.

8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter