1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Better Y10 Science course

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by DannyB2k1, Jul 5, 2016.

1. DannyB2k1

DannyB2k1 New commenter

Hi everyone,

Anyone a Y9/10 Science teacher in Australia? If so please read on, I'd like your opinion.
    I currently teach science and oversee the curriculum for Y10 at a prestigious school in Melbourne. I'm looking to revamp the way Y10 it is taught to facilitate the best possible outcomes for all kids. I feel at the moment I'm loosing the bottom end whilst not challenging the top end. Kids are not enjoying what may be the last bit of Science they do...
    I am interested to hear about how your school works.
    - Does it stream and have separate courses based on ability or interest or both?
    - If so, how? Is one hands one whilst the other is academically preparing them for higher education (WACE, SACE, VCE etc)
    - Any strategies you've implemented to help overcome problems like these?

I'm specifically looking for any curriculum ideas and the way things work. Classroom management and teaching strategies are not the issues.

TIA :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016