1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 3, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just won 2x£25 on ERNIE. Woo hoo! I know it is only a contribution towards what the interest would be if I'd invested it, but I do love a win. Never had a big win but often get £25.
    I won't spend it on anything specific but I was planning on getting one or two new things for my wardrobe so it will off set that a bit.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations. lindenlea.

Even if I only win once a year £25 it's still a better rate of return on that amount in any savings scheme anywhere else. And most years I do win 1-2 £25 wins.

We gave granddaughter £100 worth for her birth and she's already won a £100 win! :D

lindenlea likes this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Last year I worked out that the return on my premium bonds was slightly more than an isa - all in £25 or £50 wins.

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Congratulations! And I have heard on the grapevine that Friday is the 90% off day in the sale at M&S. May be a few bargains.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have done very well with premium bonds. My initial buy was about £20K and I have had a £5K win and quite a few £25s couple of £50s and £100. I topped it up when I could to hold the max amount. The trick I have read is to buy a bulk buy.... so I have 2 to give me a far better return than any savings account.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Oooh - I thought I'd check...I've won 3 x £25. Marvellous. I might treat my car to some new oil.

7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

My mother in law put some of her retirement lump sum into bonds. She often mentions getting regular payouts of small sums that out perform savings accounts.
    They are safe, they’ll not decrease in value.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My Mum has won quite a few times with her premium bonds over the years

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mrs FW and I have the same amount of Premium bonds since the start of this year, and yet, so far, this year she has received exactly twice as much in payouts than I have...:confused:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have had the lovely email this morning..... fair enough it is only £25 but with wins every month this year save January I have won £1250 so far this year. It is a lovely feeling to know my money is doing so much better than if it had been in a bank etc (+ a stub in the face of the smug Martin Lewis who advised against premium bonds .... so glad I didn't listen to him !! )

11. Lara mfl 05

That's really good @HelenREMfan. You probably have a lot more bonds than I do though.

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Oh Dear! Maleficent and I are off very early tomorrow morning so she won't be able to spend 10 times as much to take proper advantage.

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I've had one of mine since the 1950's. It was a £1 one, you cannot get them now. But not a sausage, not even a whiff

chelsea2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

But with the smaller denominations it must be easy to miss by just one digit, whereas a larger group of numbers in a block would have a better chance.

15. captain scarlet

Yeh, but a pound in those days was really worth a lot.
    And I didn't buy it, I was far too small

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have £2 worth, a gift from a friend of my parents. I keep the certificate for nostalgia's sake but I don't know if those particular numbers have ever come up.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. captain scarlet

you can check online

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have had some from 1970 and not won a bean
    Probably just me who never wins anyting by gambling lol

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I would have received the prize and they tell you which numbers have won I just never bothered to look.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's not gambling because you never lose your original investment.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.