1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Better pay and conditions working abroard?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Elfreda6969, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Elfreda6969

Elfreda6969 New commenter

I have been told that working in some locations (ie Bahrain, Qatar) etc can mean earnings far exceed those earned by uk based teachers.
    Can anyone clarify this
    Thanks

2. Elfreda6969

Elfreda6969 New commenter

I have been told that working in some locations (ie Bahrain, Qatar) etc can mean earnings far exceed those earned by uk based teachers.
    Can anyone clarify this
    Thanks

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

This correct. You can earn even more in Dubai and Saudi.

4. Pay may be better but conditions might be worse.

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Indeed marcopront the pay may be better but the conditions may be worse. However, unless you give it a go you will never find out. And one liners laden with doom like yours will certainly help those of us with testes enough to have done so.
    Anyway back to the OP. It was China for us. The 3k or so GBP a month that we saved there in the four years we worked there enabled us to purchase a house.
    Everyone else looking forward to going back to work by the way?
    Perce

max5775 likes this.
  6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Pay may be better and the conditions better still.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Yep, a working teaching couple could easily put away between 3k and 5k at our place. If in a promoted post, even more

8. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Certainly!
    My gross salary in the UK would be £32,000 pa however my salary for an identical position in the Middle East is close to £50,000 plus benefits.
    As our good friends across the pond say "do the math!"

9. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Hmmm, just like anything there is a mixed bag.
    I'm a pretty experienced teacher working a classroom shift and have twice had contracts with a tax free £1500 and accommodation. Now if you have no commitments back home you can actually save a £1000 a month out of that figure if you really wanted to. I chose travel and still saved £500 a month. There are of course better contracts out there: I was earning a cool tax free £3500 a month for a Saudi stint BUT . . .
    and here is the flipside, you are gambling with many aspects of your integrity and your career, and you may not enjoy the restictions upon you: fixed housing, transport arrangements, multiple after school clubs. You may get weak references or none at all if you make a poor choice of school, and you may find that suggestions made to improve matters are seen as criticism, are unwanted and held against you.
    In one school, staff were subject to reprimand by the owner - one teacher had to meet him every saturday afternoon for six weeks following a parental complaint - who would have 'interviewed' other members of staff to gain evidence of misdemeanours . . . such as having invited your teaching assistant home for a meal with your wife. Suffice to say, there was hardly a smile to be had.
    However there are equally some very sane and aware people out there, looking out for their staff and children and replicating very much what you'd hope to get back home, but without the pressure of paperwork and the hassle of ill-disciplined kids.