1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BETT - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I know it's a bit late for this year. But i've never been to Bett, Don't know the set up or anything. From the people who go, is it actually worth it as a learning experience or is it just a load of people trying to sell you stuff?

Thanks

Mr G

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I know it's a bit late for this year. But i've never been to Bett, Don't know the set up or anything. From the people who go, is it actually worth it as a learning experience or is it just a load of people trying to sell you stuff?

Thanks

Mr G

3. It's a load of people trying to sell you stuff. I go every 2or3 years, as long as the Head gives me a school day off. It's worth a wander for a few hours but after that, its off to Oxford St before heading back to Folkestone with bags laden. I can honestly say that I've never found anything at Bett that one day found itself in the classroom a few months later. Says it all about its usefulness, really.

4. I can understand that point of view, but for me at least BETT is much more than a trade show.
    It is also a a social networking event, a chance to meet like-minded teachers, a chance to go to the many useful presentations, a chance to see and try first hand new things that you might otherwise not know about. I would say that I come away each year with loads of value. Many schools regard it quite correctly as a CPD experience.
    Like most things what you get out depends on what you put in, but if you are in touch with other teachers through Twitter or your subject association then it is an opportunity to meet up at events like TeachMeet. Also, I know that money is tight, but when that opportunity does come up to spend on new resources, you will be ready with your list.

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

I go every year and it is worth it. I try to go to the some seminars which are sometimes useful. I have never booked or paid for these. Just get there early and go to the seminar desk where they will give you free passes.
    Of-course they are selling stuff. If you do have any input in purchasing than it's a good place to get information. My own kids (not my students!) always look forward to the freebies (pens, rubbers etc).
    I am lucky enough as a HOD to be able to go during the working day. You can always put the seminars attended in your professional development folder if you need to keep one.