1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BETT 2016 predictions

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by madcat, Jan 18, 2016.

1. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Despite my VIP pass, as tradition dictates, I shall not be attending said exhibition , but if you do go I am sure you will find
    • Ms Morgan pushing out lots of government propaganda about how they are ensuring coding is a core part of the curriculum in order to ensure we continue to have a thriving economy
    • Loads of CAS dweebs indulging in self congratulatory back slapping about how they have been ensuring coding is a core part of the curriculum
    • Dozens of stands pushing badly produced PowerPoint sets with bored temps telling the passing throng that they - have been ensuring coding is a core part of the curriculum
    • ...and of course gazillions of I ❤ Coding pens - probably in pink

Enjoy and if you do encounter any DofE, CAS, exam board etc denizens give'em hell as they say

2. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

Nice summary. You've missed:
    • Dozens of solutions to problems you didn't know you had.
    • No solutions to problems you do have.
    • Lots of tech solutions for problems that are best solved with a pen and some paper.
    • Lots of apps that will revolutionise your teaching - but actually they are not compatible with anything you currently use so you'll have to enter things twice if you want to use them.
    • Dozens of chances to spend someone else's money because tech is great innit!

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Ah ..... Computer exhibitions... I remember a stand at Which where they extolled the virtues of creating/editing video on Atari/Amiga. At IBM show I wanted to link an AS/400 ( business data) to an RS6000 ( office apps) for manipulation on spreadsheet. The IBM people on the stands told me they were 'not allowed' to discus the IBM bridging software that would enable this !!
    Nothing much to do with education - just an anecdote from my past.

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Back to education.... I predict...
    One day someone will realize getting pupils to do flowcharts which are not dependent on any computer architecture or language is a more useful starting point than Scratch.

5. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Overhyped software / hardware that does not actually help the teaching experience, apart from that school that had all the staff from said company swarming all over the place to get things working (for 3 months, and then they never use again)
    Underhyped software that saves time by just doing 1 thing at a time really well, hidden away at the back of the hall as they don't have the clout of the 'big boys' to push themselves forward.
    Lots of freebies that look fun on the day, and end up in the bin on the way home
    Some really weird freebies (a number a years ago, I get an oak tree sapling - was still growing until they totalled my last school to build a new academy)
    SLT wondering around by themselves with no ICT teacher in tow, yanking them back to reality
    In fact, only few ICT teachers will be allowed to go, only network admin and SLT (because they're not important are they) as they know what's best to pick

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It well over a decade ago now. Somehow I managed to get in before it opened via trade entrance. A few minutes before it was due to open there was a power cut. It was interesting watching the panick. Finally opened about 30 min late.

The thing I found interesting was watch, mainly, primary teachers collecting free pens - sort of summed it up.

colpee likes this.
  7. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

I remember going to BETT once about 6 years ago. I pondered then how 'Education' had become an 'Education industry'. The world may have moved on, but the basics for children just starting out on changing the world still require just pens, erasers and paper, and teachers with the time to teach and inspire. How did we get to the stage where countless millions are poured into schools for new toys and software, at a time when teachers are permanently stretched to their limits, where stress and exhaustion are normal parts of the teaching job and when every waking minute in the 24/7 week is accounted for? Who has time for new gizmos? Even if some enthusiastic sole (not a mis-spelling) had time to introduce some of the new snake water being peddled at BETT, few teachers will get the proper time for proper training. The training will only ever be given in the first year as well so subsequent arrivals to the school will have none and the new fad will sink into obscurity in the next few years only to be replaced with the next fad. I've seen this pattern over and over and over again in my decades of teaching. It never changes. It doesn't help that CAS and similar organisations are constantly plugging the model - all that finance CAS gets from the 'Education industry' has to be paid back sometime - who cares if something is practical in schools?

Cut down more trees. Bring back paper and pens!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    JM6699 likes this.
  8. theyesman

theyesman New commenter

Stands trying to sell four thousand quid 3D printers with expensive maintenance contracts and equally expensive consumables to teachers who haven’t had a pay rise in 5 years so they can produce little plastic Eiffel towers.