1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bet you a bottle of champagne I can find savings...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Clive_Candy, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

Mrsmumbles and JohnJCazorla like this.
  2. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Crass is certainly one word, I can think of a few others.

He told the room he was "not being flippant about this".

Oh, well that’s okay then :rolleyes:

3. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

If course schools can save more money. There’s loads of ways:
    - Put all expensive teachers on support plans and then force them to leave
    - Only hire NQTs
    - Turn into an academy so you don’t have to follow certain work place guidelines on working hours and conditions
    - Put teachers into faculties instead of having a head of department for every subject
    - Over charge for school meals and pocket the rest
    - Stop allowing teachers to go on trips or courses in the school day
    - Force teachers to cover lessons instead of getting supply in
    - Use teaching staff to invigilate exams
    - Make redundant all the office and support staff so staff have to do their own admin and budgeting
    - Don’t replenish the staff that leave
    - Stop teaching unnecessary subjects, such as art, music, drama, DT, textiles, etc.
    - Make students buy their own equipment and books
    - Let out the school building for other companies to use
    - Stop fixing holes, floors, ceilings, heating, etc until staff make 100 complaints

All these I have seen done in various schools. I blame the Tories.

Any more you can think of?

4. install

install Star commenter

Limit the pay of ceos and hts so that it is no more than a full time class teacher

Get rid of ofsted

Make ofsted teach

Make heads teach

Get rid of League Tables

Stop schools from having to jump according to the latest trend given out by overpaid mps:cool:

5. giotto

giotto New commenter

I remember when inspectors were called HMI (Her Majesty's Inspectorate) before Ofsted (or ETI in Northern Ireland). In order to pass my probationary year in teaching I had to be observed twice by the principal and at least once by an inspector. It was very common in those days (early 1980s) for the inspector to ask part way through a lesson he was observing if he could teach the class. Their role seemed to be much more supportive than the inspectorate has become.

6. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

I'd guess that this minister is a waste of money.

Reminds me of the minister who said on Question Time that as a London MP, he still needed a second home closer to Parliament because "you don't understand, it runs like clockwork, you have to be on time". So... like a job?

Maybe the Department of Education could award a diamond encrusted rolex to the Headteacher who saves the most money nationally.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Trivially, I reported a dripping tap. Not fixed for weeks (low priority, no-one in danger.....). I measured the rate of water loss, calculated the cost on the water bill - which was substantial - and reported it, and the plumber fixed it next day. That was wasted money, though I accept not very much. Buying at the right price is important.

8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

A full time Primary School teacher's workload consists of near 50% marking, assessment, planning and many other pointless bureaucracy tasks. Slash much of this work.
    Time is money - as they say.

Dyathinkhesaurus likes this.
  9. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I’ll probably get shot down in flames for this but a school I have worked in does waste money. Resources bought and binned a year later, paying a cover supervisor rate to a TA when there are 3 HLTAs sat around twiddling their thumbs, massive wastage of paper and ink by printing by mistake, paying for supply instead of using the cover teacher who is twiddling their thumbs along with the HLTAs.
    I’ve worked in schools where we’ve had to make a box of pencils last a year, where we’ve bought books in from home as the school can’t afford them, I know people will be familiar with that, so to see a school wasting money daily then pleading poverty because they can’t afford an extra MSA makes me think they’ve not really got their priorities right.

border_walker likes this.
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

Savings can always be made if you do not care about the effect on the education.

Cutting costs by getting rid of expensive/experienced teachers, getting rid of TAs, cutting responsibility points, not fixing leaks in the roof, all have an effect on learning. What really gets my goat is the ,"We need to do more with less", glib statement from CEOs who feel aggrieved by single figure pay rises.

-Maximilian- and JohnJCazorla like this.
  11. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Every school that i have worked in wastes heat in the winter.
    There are still many ways that well managed schools could save money.

bessiesmith likes this.
  12. moscowbore

Are you implying that schools could avoid making teachers redundant by turning down the thermostats?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. border_walker

No, but when I see windows open because heating is too high there is clearly waste. Schools are not good at spending money effectively. Eare to see for example total cost of ownership considered when making purchases.

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I think you nailed the bulk of them, but also:

Charge stupid fees for non-attendance, even if the kid is deeply traumatised and suffering from SEN needs...the struggling parent must still pay.

Revamp the uniform for the tenth time in a row, ideally by buying in a uniform contract from a relative’s business, then massively overcharge the parents. If you’re an indie school, bore staff and kids senseless by allowing some jumped up smug bit who owns said uniform outfitting business to actually come into the school and gives talk about making ‘quality profitable products. ‘How insulting and ...crass!

15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I think the expensive Audi TT owned by the equally pointless and expensive HR Trollop is more of an unnecessary expense, you see....

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think schools should have more trollops.

Mrsmumbles and neddyfonk like this.
  17. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Here here !! Jolly good idea old chap and maybe a bit more mutton dressed as lamb.

blazer likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Always a winner.

19. moscowbore

But this is pennies compared to the massive cuts to budgets. Pennies in comparison to the massive CEO salaries of MATs. Cutting management points, TAs, not carrying out essential maintenance, getting rid of experienced teachers are all about improving the bottom line . The emphasis is on the bottom line, not the education which is my fundamental issue here.

20. border_walker

Most school fuel bills are not a few pennies.