1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best year group to teach and why

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachingking123, Oct 31, 2015.

?

Best year group

1. Nursery

3.7%
  2. Reception

3.7%
  3. Year 1

3.7%
  4. Year 2

7.4%
  5. Year 3

11.1%
  6. Year 4

11.1%
  7. Year 5

7.4%
  8. Year 6

14.8%
  9. Other

18.5%
  10. Sixth form

18.5%
  1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Which one and why?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Year 10... intellectually they become more interesting, they've chosen to be there. And the impact of targets and monitoring isn't as heavy as in year 11.

HelenREMfan and monicabilongame like this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Year 7 as they're still mostly shiny and clean and keen to do well in Big School. (Apart from the ratty little scroats who started beating other children up on the pre-yr7 visit.)

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I loved Reception. I thought teaching someone to read from scratch was a wonderful, fulfilling thing to do for me and empowering for them.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have voted for Year 8, but with the endorsement that this relates to Middle School or a Prep School. The pupils have matured enough to take on the responsibility of their own learning (mostly), they have developed an 'adult' aspect to their personalities and they have, as yet, not been corrupted (dare I use that word?) by the negative influences of secondary or upper school.

After leaving us the pupils are inevitably keen to come back and visit. While it is always a pleasure to see then again, I find that they bring with then - even after the period of a couple of months - an attitude, dress sense and general appearance which I find rather depressing, and wonder what happened to the characters I taught.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I used to love year 4 . They are not savey like year6 yet not the babies of year 3 and below,
    They are interested in all sorts of things, trainable and willing to help each other.

TEA2111 and monicabilongame like this.
  7. teachingking123

That's why I teach primary!

TEA2111 likes this.
  8. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Y9 and early Y10 for me.

They've started their GCSE course and feel more grown-up and motivated by that, but I'm not yet constrained too much by GCSE requirements so I can go off on tangents if there's time, to do more cultural stuff like studying a French film or writing a story.

Pupils who hate French have opted for Spanish instead so I'm left with at best, really motivated pupils, and at worst, ambivalent but compliant ones.

The most able pupils can grasp the basics by Christmas of Y9 and then really start to shine. They're able to manipulate language and use it creatively to express their own ideas, rather than just repeating what they've been . One of my Y9 groups from last year, who I now teach in Y10, includes a number of boys who aim to make me laugh out loud when marking their written work, and frequently succeed. I was lucky last year in that I had both top-sets in Y9, and have kept them into Y10, so they give me hope when Y8 and Y11 are driving me mad!

My current Y9s are a nice bunch. Middle-set, not as motivated or able as my groups from last year, but willing enough and I'm sure I'll get some good work out of them this year, it will just take longer and need more structure.

teachingking123 likes this.
  9. teachingking123

Feel their pain from when I was little!:(;-(

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

When I taught in secondary i used to love year 7 as they were so willing to listen and learn.....and had not gained the demeaner of the next year in which nothing mattered.I also liked what was year 6 in that you could get one with them and strangely i have enough ability to tell jokes and humour them........of the days of the baddies sitting at the back reading comics.......you taught in peace(well sometimes) and then suddenly finding the baddies where joining in with comments....not that the comments where always appropriate:).
    It was hard nt to laugh at some of thier stupid comments and questions.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

My preference when I taught was Year 7 (and 6 when they came in for primary liaison ) as they were still 'children' for the most part and puberty had not turned them into insolent backchatting monsters. Which is why Year 9 was the worst (but lately now there is no SATS etc year 8 is becoming rudderless as well as they have not started their GCSEs and year 8 'doesn't matter.) Year 11 was not too bad as at least some of them had matured into young adults (more so the girls, the boys don't properly mature until their 20s!)
    However, there are nice and horrendous children in any year!

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Upper Sixth form is probably my favourite. I was always very lucky to get varied and interesting groups. My favourite part of it all, aside from the teaching, was the UCAS process and then seeing them off at the end knowing that they were well on their way to adulthood.
    Having said that, I loved the interaction I had with first year undergrads. That's probably related to my favourite part of Sixth Form teaching though.

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I like year 7 and year 10 best with a nod towards year 12 (I now teach IB, so no exams until next year) where there is more scope for creativity, etc.

Didn't like Year 9 in my last school since most weren't continuing Latin, it was very difficult in terms of behaviour management and their sense of entitlement to do what they wanted. In my new school, somewhat easier to teach as it is a smaller group but they too can be stroppy at times.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Me too, apart from the one who was excluded on the induction visit.

sabrinakat and lanokia like this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I like year 4 for the same reason as Olds, but I'm currently loving reception so would have to day them too.

16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Year 5 - big enough to talk to properly, don't touch you like little people do, not as big for their boots as Y6.

Mind you completely depends on cohort - the mix of personalities makes a much bigger difference.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

6th form

They're virtually human by then.

sabrinakat, lanokia and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Year 10 and Lower Sixth until the advent of Split GCSEs and AS exams. As others have said, they had chosen to be there but were not under exam pressure.

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

It's hard to choose - I have taught from Year 2 - Year 5 and like each in their own way!

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I did a lot of Y3 and thought they could be great - most had got the basic skills but were still easily impressed and as I'm not that impressive it worked for me. I did love much of nursery but that was before the current culture of measuring everything.I am a huge fan of playing and learnt most of what I know from involvement in PPA in the 80s.. The progress children can make in the pre school year is awesome.