1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

best / worst first gigs you have been to

Discussion in 'Personal' started by primarycat, Apr 11, 2012.

1. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Apologies if this has been done but what is the best / worst / first live bands you have all seen? My first was the Damned at the Hammersmith Palais, Mr PC saw Boney M. Seen some great live music - Prince, George Clinton, James Taylor Quartet, Roy Ayers and some pretty bad stuff - Finlay Quaye and the Cult on a bad day, although I saw them again subsequently and they were really good the second time. Over to you.

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

The worst has to be Will Young some years back in Brum. He had a beautiful voice, but the stage presence of a cardbaord box. We left about half way through.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Probably the best and worst on the same afternoon.
    For a couple of years on the trot we had free tickets to the V Festival and the VIP tent, where the upcoming artists would do an acoustic set. The best was Amy MacDonald - tiny but what a voice - brilliant! The most amusing was a set with Suggs of Madness singing It Must Be Love with Al Murray (pib landlord) on drums (very talented and in his element) - with the audience singing along. The worst was The Editors who came on, found they were having a few technical difficulties with the sound, had a hissy fit and walked off. Diddums!
    There is no doubt that a small set really allows talent to shine through.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

My first gig was to see Thin Lizzy at Imperial College in 1975. Brilliant!

5. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Showing my age but couldn't resist as I was very peeved for ages afterwards.
    My friend and I bought tickets to see the Swinging Blue jeans at our local town hall. It was the first time I had EVER seen a pop group live let alone one that had been on Top of the Pops. I was still at school (probably 15 or 16) and my curfew was 10.30.
    As 10.30 approached The Swinging Blue Jeans hadn't even arrived at the Town Hall to start their session but my dad had and he'd talked his way in and oiked us out and off home. [​IMG]
    Years later he apologised for spoiling our night ..........
    Does that count?

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Not necessarily the best gigs I've been to but the most consistently good life act I've seen recently are The Hold Steady. Their last album was disappointing and the one before that wasn't as good as the previous three but they make up for all that with their live performances. If no-one has a clue who they are, they're an unassuming late 30s band of ordinary looking blokes from Brooklyn, musically they're blue-collar bar-room rock somewhere between The Replacements, Bruce Springsteen and Thin Lizzy, with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. Always a lengthy set with loads of songs burst through with minimal banter and they never play the same set twice. The singer, Craig Finn, has an amazing presence and so much energy.
    I've seen them 5 times and they've always been incredible. They have a hardcore base of devoted fans, meaning gigs are great fun, with loads of dancing, singing and pogoing going on.
    My other current favourite live act are Wilco. Always a superb set and a pleasure to see such talented musicians jamming and improvising on stage. Love them.
    Roy Ayers has also impressed every time.
    I can't think of any dreadful gigs, but one I went to last year springs to mind. I loved Iron Maiden as a young lad and never got to see them, so when I bought a ticket to see them by myself at the O2 last August, I was a little excited, listening to songs I hadn't listened to for over 25 years. Anyway, on the train to London, I spotted another solo traveller who was clearly going to the gig. We got chatting, drank a few beers and then went along to a pub nearby full of fans and had a lot more beer to drink. I had a great afternoon, in the company of very friendly strangers, drinkling ale after ale after ale. We went to the venue and had more to drink.
    The predictable consequence of all of this was that I can't remember any of the gig save for the last 3 or 4 songs and also managed to lose my very expensive camera. [​IMG]

7. Best and first Led Zeppelin Bradford St George's Hall 1973. Worst The Fall Newcastle November 2011. Least improved, Van Morrison gets less and less interested over the years.

8. Completely agree. I went to the Roger Daltrey Teenage Cancer Trust concert and she came on. When she was introduced I hoped that she wasn't on for too long but she was absolutely brilliant, her voice is much better live and she has great stage presence.
    I wouldn't say it was terrible, but I was left feeling really disappointed after seeing Oasis play at the old Wembley Stadium just before it closed. They were on for just over an hour and were obviously not getting on at all.
    I loved seeing Robbie at Knebworth, Roger Waters performing The Wall, Beyonce at the O2...I've been really fortunate The last concert that left me speechless (other than the Teenage Cancer gig) was Kasabian at the O2 just before Christmas. I have a bit of a crush on Tom and Serge anyway but I just remember talking to complete strangers agreeing that we'd seen something really special, they were sublime.
    I'm looking forward to the festivals this year for some more fantastic memories.

9. Best gigs have been 'The Counterfeit Stones' (better than the originals claims my Dad) and 'The Hoosiers' who played at an awards ceremony I went to. The worst two have been 'Aswad' - six months pregnant me had to stand and wait a month of Sundays for them to come on and they were rubbish - and 'Mick Taylor's rhythm and blues band'. I was bitterly dissapointed with Mick Taylor as I am a huge fan of his work with the Stones. He was drunk as a skunk and spent the whole set rambling about nonsense.

10. Oh and 'The Selecter' were brilliant!

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Has anyone heard of Steve Forbert?
    My dad and I have gone to see him together. A great performer!

12. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

The first gig I saw was Pink Floyd in Liverpool - I think in about 1974!

I haven't been to many gigs at all and many of them over 35 years ago. I saw The Who and David Bowie when I was on my year abroad in Paris in 1976 - at some old abbatoir place. They were great of course.

I went to the Freddie Mercury Tribute at Wembley - saw all sorts of artists including Axl Rose, Bowie (again), Annie Lennox, Deff Leppard - so that was like lots of mini gigs, and of course it was wonderful. Since then I have seen both Roger Taylor and Brian May separately in concert too

Saw Dire Straits sometime in the 90s in Manchester.

Haven't been disappointed in any - but sadly haven't been to a gig for many years. Too old alas ... and nobody to go with (sob sob)

13. One of the most memorable was Bruce Springsteen at Wembly at some point during the mid 80s. He played for 3 hours solid - incredible.
    Robbie was amazing when he played in Leeds a few years ago.
    I've also enjoyed Squeeze, Blondie, The Smiths and Morrisey by himself.
    The Bundu Boys were brilliant when they placed the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge
    I loved taking young Master P to his first concert - Kaiser Chiefs.
    The most disappointing was Lou Reed. He had no stage presence at all and barely interacted with the crowd. I left bored and feeling cheated out of my hard earned cash.

14. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Best was Madonna by a mile. Pink was amazing. Biggest disappointment was Alanis Morissette.
    I was lucky to see Fleetwood Mac albeit minus Christine McVie and they were brilliant as were The Sugababes (sshh don't tell anyone about that though!!)

15. Best gig = James Brown in Hyde Park when he supported the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A million times better than the band i had paid to see. Total legend, stage presence gallore!

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

First was The Beach Boys at the Odeon in Birmingham about 1968. Unforgettable were Leonard Cohen at Leeds Uni 1970 I think and Rod Stewart also Leeds in 1971. Fabulous was Ruby Turner in a little club in Glossop in about 1990. Kitylion - I was at a Dire Straits gig in Manchester too - was it Maine Road. Loved the Feeling at Latitude in 2010 - cheesy but brilliant.

17. Best: The Afghan Whigs in Edinburgh, and also Les Bofs (French cover band) in Edinburgh.

Worst - a band called Nectarine No. 9 who were supporting Pavement, again in Edinburgh at the Assembly Rooms. The singer got really annoyed and arsey because the audience clearly weren't interested in them. Awkward.

18. Only been to three gigs. One was Donny Osmond in the grounds of Cardiff castle - really enjoyed, and he brought his two sons who played for him on guitar.
    Another was James Last (old bandleader!) Brilliant gig! He shooed the security away as they wouldn't let people stand and dance, as soon as they had gone nearly the whole arena were up on their feet and he even invited a few up on stage to dance with him!
    The other was my 18th birthday present from my parents - tickets to see Sir Tom Jones!

19. Equal best (I know that's cheating!): Ian Shaw 2009 (I think) in Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club and Kid Creole and the Coconuts at the Mayflower in Southampton in 1982ish.
    Worst: Duran Duran early 80s. Three times. Bad each time because Simon Le Bon's voice is horrid.

20. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

First: Mud circa 1974/5 at Norwich.

Best: Van Morrison at Leeds Town & Country Club about 18 years ago. Supported by a then almost unknown Brian Kennedy. Both fabulous.

Worst: Westlife & Steps - both when Miss W was young; they were her first gigs. Both appalling, and completely unable to sing live. Westlife so bad we left before the end!

Most consistent: Bowie - seen about five times.

Best venue: Ronnie Scott's in London - seen Stacey Kent there three times. Voice, venue and atmosphere = perfection.