1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

best way to teach modulation

Discussion in 'Music' started by baxterbasics, May 10, 2008.

1. baxterbasics

baxterbasics New commenter

What year group are you teaching it to ?

2. hi there years 10 and 11

3. The students need to have a good understanding of keys; I make sure that they can work out al the closely related keys. They make their own scale chart which enables them to work out any major scale, minor scale, pentatonic scale, enharmonic equivilents and see the cycle of 5ths.
    They need a good grounding in at least the perfect and imperfect cadence then the easiest modulation to make is to the sub dominant. For example, if you are in C major end a phrase with a perfect cadence and half way through the bar introduce a Bflat to the chord to make it the dominant 7th in F major.
    Give them a chord sequence so that they can practise doing this.
    Basically get them to plan chords and cadences first then compose a melody using the harmony notesm then add passing notes. I could spend a whole day with you on this to cover the other easy modulations but I hope this gives you some ideas. I can show you much more easily than write it out here.

4. Have you got any sibelius files you already use?
    That would be great if you could spare some material.
    eudoxis@hotmail.com

5. Hi there, sorry no Sibelius files, but if you get any can you pass them on to me???? madmusicteacher@hotmail.com I am always on the look out for good things!

6. Has anyone found any good resources? If yes, please let me know and I'll send you my e mail address!
    Many thanks!