1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to refresh rusty Latin?

Discussion in 'Classics' started by sacerdos, Jul 3, 2011.

1. You might consider a week or two at Lampeter University Summer Classics Workshop - 7th to 20th August. Applications can still be made till 15th July. There are classes for beginners through to advanced. For more info, go to
    www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk and take a look at the Classics Department page.

2. Sounds lovely! Unfortunately my holidays are already booked for this year - but I will keep them in mind - maybe next year....

3. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Well done for taking on the beginners' class! You will find if you work from the CLC, on the www.cambridgescp.com website, it will all come back. What's more your knowledge of Latin for the1983 A Level must have been at a very good level.
    I had a similar situation with Greek. OK in parts I remain a little bit rusty, but it's surprising how much remained stored in the memory and just needed pulling out... just like riding a bike, you never really forget.

4. Salve Lemoni!
    I think you are right! I have not had much time to work on my Latin in the past few weeks, but I have picked up Ecce Romani and flicked through it. I am suprised how many words are actually familiar, although at the moment it seems that I am not bad at picking up a Latin text and understanding it - what will happen when I try to go from English to Latin may well be a different story!
    We will be using that Cambridge Latin Course, and I have found plenty of resources on the web linked in with the course. Caecilius does sound like an interesting chap and I can't wait to get to know him and his family!
    I am a MFL teacher, so I am quite looking forward to using some of my MFL tricks and treats in the Latin classroom!

5. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

The good news is that you don't have to do English into Latin unless you are taking on a class that will eventually take Common Entrance. I hope not, as, sadly, the CLC will not be adequate for that rather trad syllabus. Furthermore the skills required to translate from English would take up a lot of time.

But if you are in a secondary school, the CLC will be fun and ideal up to GCSE. If you p.m. your email address to me, I can send you some ideas for teaching the early grammar in a fun way. And, of course, as you say, MFL methods will be a brilliant addition. However one word re comprehension; the way it's done in Classics is not for gist at all, but for showing understanding of the Latin structure and content. So you virtually translate the bit the question directs you towards.

Are you aware that there are teachers' guides obtainable from the Cambridge project?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hmm. I wish that were true!

7. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

What type of school will you be doing the Latin in, P J ?

8. NB for teaching resources etc do look at the Classics Library website (www.theclassicslibrary.com) which has an excellent and thriving resources-sharing area. Good luck!

9. You could look at teaching Latin in a communicative way given your MFL background. This has been a topic of some discussion amongst Classicists as is shown by the following:
    Bob Patrick’s sessions on TPRS (Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling) at the 2010 ArLT summer camp,
    the spring 2011 edition of The Journal of Classics Teaching on communicative teaching
    sessions on Latin Speaking Clubs at the 2011 JACT INSET day
    sessions covering Stephen Krashen’s linguistic theories at the 2012 ArLT refresher day
    <font face="Arial" size="2">There are some workshops on TPRS which may benefit both your MFL and Latin teaching in November 2012:</font>
    <font size="3">Blaine Ray, the inventor of TPRS, will be