1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to get rid of old equipment?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by HappyHippy, May 11, 2011.

1. Bucks is the wrong side of the Tees for me, but it was worth a punt ;-)

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Ah welll, not to worry, thanks anyway for the offer.

I will have a look online at my options.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If there's hard drives onboard you may fall foul of your LEA's data protection rules by trying to dispose of them, insofar as they may contain recoverable data, images of children etc.
    I say this not as an advocate of such petty tomfoolery but as someone who wanted to get rid of some obsolete 1990s vintage Acorn Pocketbooks to raise money for the school (with their massive 512K memory) and was handed a wad of LEA computer disposal regulations and forms by the school bursar. Under no circumstances was I permitted to flog LEA property on eBay. Madness - they're still sitting in a stacker box gathering dust, and they could be sold online to Psion 3a geeks for spares and repairs.

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Yeah, I think I will go down the LEA route - I have some hard drives and laptops amongst the junk.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

captain oats: You might consider removing the hard drives and selling them as hard drive-less units on eBay. They do sell - it's how I got rid of my last home PC.

6. Use a WEEE-complient disposal company in your area that will also wipe any harddrives for you and provide you with a certificate of destruction. There are companies who will take the equipment off of you and do this for no charge, making their money by reselling the equipment.