1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to get qualified

Discussion in 'EAL' started by Lalad, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I'm currently a primary school teacher but would like to obtain an EAL qualification with a view to starting teaching EAL here and then possibly teaching abroad. When I look online, there are so many EAL courses leading to different qualifications that it's difficult ot know where to start! Does anyone have any advice for me?

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Go to the bell foundation website, they have a lot of information and courses. Also, have a look at EAL Nexus and NALDIC site.

I went the post grad route as well. I found a language and literacy pg with the open university.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Great - thank you! I have sent you a PM.

4. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

WHat actually is EAL or the difference between EAL and ESL? Can someone give an example of a lesson?

5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

6. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Interesting that he calls it an ESL programme rather than an EAL programme in his 3 programme model which he has developed while working at VIS.

yasf likes this.
  7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Thought I'd post this here too.
    Try this link

where you can find this article

ESL or ‘EAL’ Programme or ‘support’. The baggage that comes with names

For those that can't be bothered / don't have the time:

EFL - or Foreign Language learning takes place in an environment where the language is not really used outside of the classroom.

ESL - or Second Language Learning takes place in an environment where the language is used outside the classroom. It is not however the the learner's

First Language or Mother Tongue.

* note that first and second refer to position not number, as it is possible for a student to have more than one first language / mother tongue, as well as more than one second language. This misunderstanding led to the coining of

EAL - or Additional Language - which was coined in the UK by unqualified well meaning folk. The professional / trained ESL community don't like the term, although have come to accept it as it has become ubiquitous. However you will also see the term Multilingual learners as a kind of compromise.

ELA - or English Language Acquisition is something that I have only seen in the IB MYP, but I quite like the term. It does however gloss over the difference between Foreign and Second language learning, and their unique requirements and challenges.

8. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Thank you for that - in the midst of report writing at the moment but will take a look at the weekend!