1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to find private tutor in leicestshire

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by RoseT91, Dec 12, 2016.

1. RoseT91

RoseT91 New commenter

hi all, my sister is looking for a private maths GCSE tutor for my nephew who needs to resit from last year.

It is in market harborough and I'm nowhere near there so not sure how I can help her?

Any tips will be appreciated!!

2. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Search on the Tutor Pages website.

3. Informant

Informant New commenter

Nothing really beats personal recommendation, so start by asking older or former pupils and their parents if they can recommend anyone. Some of my 'unknown' contacts arrived because they contacted all the secondary schools in the area and asked if they could help, either by passing details to their own staff or referring a recommended contact. I've known this to be effective on more than one occasion.

My last resort would be the internet. You can look on gumtree, although I would wonder why anybody needs to advertise this far into the academic year. A better prospect is to ask for a recommendation on a Facebook community group or streetlife.com (our local council has a presence on streetlife as well as the usual Twitter and Facebook accounts). Finally you can use a search engine, but be alert to a couple of details. Tutors or agencies who pay to advertise will dominate the first two or three pages, so you may need to look through half a dozen or more pages to find who you're looking for if they have an internet presence. Also you will find google, bing, yahoo and yell won't produce identical results. My web page is not registered with yell because I didn't want to broadcast my address and phone number, so I typically appear elsewhere after the third page of search results.

Still no joy in Market Harborough? Find or enquire/ask/search for a tutor who can use Skype. This will overcome any geographical constraints. I have Skype tutorials and virtually all my support for QTS trainees has been via Skype. Sorry I can't offer to help as I'm fully booked, but I'm certain you can find support using one of the methods I've suggested.

Happy New Year