1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean a whiteboard...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mushroomz, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Can anyone suggest a successful way of cleaning a whiteboard?

Currently, I use a weak solution of washing up liquid, but this seems to be slowly removing or coating the outer layer of the board, making it more difficult to rub off the ink during the day, when I am using the board constantly!

I've tried all the sprays / mousses etc, but they were far worse (and much more expensive!). They made the ink go really streaky whenever I rubbed it off!

I don't want to use dangerous chemicals like bleach, obviously, or anything that smells too strong! I would love to be able to rub something off the board without it leaving a huge stain which partly obscures anything I write on top!

Any good ideas? Often the simplest ones work best!

Many thanks!!

2. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Can anyone suggest a successful way of cleaning a whiteboard?

Currently, I use a weak solution of washing up liquid, but this seems to be slowly removing or coating the outer layer of the board, making it more difficult to rub off the ink during the day, when I am using the board constantly!

I've tried all the sprays / mousses etc, but they were far worse (and much more expensive!). They made the ink go really streaky whenever I rubbed it off!

I don't want to use dangerous chemicals like bleach, obviously, or anything that smells too strong! I would love to be able to rub something off the board without it leaving a huge stain which partly obscures anything I write on top!

Any good ideas? Often the simplest ones work best!

Many thanks!!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I tend to use baby wipes, but they also seem to leave it not quite shiny enough.
    I'm told that scribbling all over it with a new board marker, then wiping with the board rubber is best!

4. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

I'll try both after the hols!

5. Baby wipes day to day and washed with lots of hot water but no soap every now and again. Windolene and similar sprays are also good.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Tesco economy baby wipes are very cheap and work as well as more expensive wipes or whiteboard spray. Also, buy drywipe pens - I find the wetwipe pens a pain to clean off.

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

The cleaner does mine every Friday. It's immuculate on Monday. I'll ask her what she uses when I get back.
    When I had to do my own board I had the same problem - till I raided the caretaker's store.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Does anybody actually use wetwipe pens in this day and age?

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How do you know the cost of the cleaning products provided by your school to clean the board?
    You should not be buying your own products!
    School will even have a Health and Safety policy which means that all cleaning substances in school are vetted so that they don't react with other products in use by the cleaning staff. Bleach is a complete NO-NO on the premises.
    Ask your HOD or Head where you can access a bottle of their approved board cleaner to use inbetween the scheduled times for the cleaner tackling the board.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

dry paper towel during the day - a slightly damp one at the end of the day
    I find that soap leaves a residue and plain water is best.

11. Neat vodka :)

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

... or one of the ******** in your room if they are more accessible!

13. butties

butties New commenter

White vinegar works a treat, smell a bit though!

14. I try to avoid using blue pen wherever possible - dunno what it is but if anything's determined to stay put, it's the blue in a set of pens.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If it is just a white board and not an IWB then I use car de-icer (the pump spray type). If I can't find any of that then the hand gel from ther 1st aid kits also works well. Use paper towel.

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

On a day by day basis, always use a proper board cleaner in circular movements to stop 'clumping' of residue. Works for me!!

17. I use "SprayandWipe" ... a household surface cleaner.... does this harm the whiteboard if used longterm?

18. My last school was given old whiteboards by the neighbouring secondary who was moving to a new build. They were badly marked but nail varnish remover made them look as good as new

19. On a daily basis I'll use baby wipes or kitchen/bathroom wipes - whatever is going cheapest in the shop.
    I also rub over it with a damp paper towel after the wipes now and again too.
    After (stupidly) using a permanent marker on the board I discovered some alcohol (borrowed from the technician) worked wonders for getting rid of the pen and for bringing the board up nicely, so that's a couple of times a year job now!

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Why are you spending your money? You are keeping the board so clean that the people employed to do the cleaning, and the person in charge of ordering cleaning materials, assess that the boards don't get very dirty and only need to be deep-cleaned at the end of a term or before an OFSTED!
    Let them notice the state that boards get in and bring it to their attention if it becomes too dirty to be used.
    It's not a teacher's responsibility to subsidise the cleaning of the school or to buy rewards for pupils' efforts either!