1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to become a teacher without qualification?!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ppower1994, May 23, 2017.

1. ppower1994

ppower1994 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I finished college (performing arts) with 3 A* Distinctions. I did not attend university, so I do not have a degree and the thought of going to uni for 2/3 years to gain a degree is not an option, nor appealing.

I have done some research online and have seen mixed results/information. For example, I saw that I can go down the 'School Direct Training QTS' but I then saw from another source that I need to be an undergraduate to do this.

Can anyone clear up my options???

I'm waiting to train, gain experience, obtain my teaching qualification and then move out to Australia to teach.

Any insight would be splendid.

Thank you in advance

Perry

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

In order to be a teacher in a primary or secondary school in the UK you must have a degree. The same goes for Australia.

Your options are very simple:
    A) Do a degree, then apply for a place on a teacher training course.
    B) Don't do a degree, and don't be a teacher.

wanet likes this.
  3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The Australians are even stricter than we are. I'm afraid not a chance without a degree. And most places outside the UK won't accept QTS obtained through the school direct route either.

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

A degree-level qualification is needed. Intractable, I'm afraid. As has been said, you need a university-based route to obtain the visa. See this for yourself, as I've heard some porkie pies about this.

wanet likes this.
  5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

6. danlee

danlee New commenter

Teaching is a degree level profession. You might be able to find employment as a TA or behaviour mentor though.
    Dan

pepper5 likes this.
  7. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

A degree is really non-negotiable for being a teacher when TAs often have degrees and some even have PhDs....

You can obtain QTLS without a degree, it is true, but I think that still requires a Level 5 qualification (i.e. equivalent to a DipHE, a foundation degree, or two years' study at undergraduate level).

UCAS is your friend!

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Have you checked if Australia are even looking for teachers to migrate there? Last time I looked, teaching wasn't in the top priority group and was quite subject specific. You would need a degree and a university based teaching qualification to even be considered for teaching jobs in Australia.

JL48 likes this.
  9. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

You might find work in the private sector however... but you would have to be exceptional

10. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Well, I guess Leonardo Da Vinci didn't have a degree...

The OP still won't make it to Australia though. They have a points based immigration system.

JL48 likes this.
  11. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Ten year's ago the average house price in Sydney was A$200000. The average price now is over A$1000000. Be warned - cost of living in Aus is off the wall. I have family over there is Melbourne and Sydney. Their children are finding it very difficult getting on the housing ladder.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Might be best to head to Australia now as a UG and then convert to teaching. That or do a B.Ed.

I will say this. Doing a degree is enjoyable. Fun. The best years of your life. Far more fun than working. Almost decadent. And good for you. Which is why we do Masters and PHDs afterwards. Being at a university is really quite liberating and different from other educational providers. It can lead to an epiphany. You might be surprised.

chelsea2, sabram86 and JL48 like this.
  13. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Depends if you have an interest in what you're studying, I suppose. If you're studying just to get a degree, probably not so much.

@ppower1994 Have you considered doing an Education degree? (Either a B.A. in Education, or a B.Ed. - Bachelor of Education.) If you choose one with QTS they have placements in schools, so it is teacher training at the same time as doing a degree.

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I found studying pedagogy extremely dull. My subject degree was far more interesting. (for me, anyway.) B.Ed or BA + QTS would be my idea of hell.

Alldone likes this.
  15. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

You could look for work in a school whilst you are stufdying for a degree. A number of universities and colleges have programmes where you can attend for one day a week whilst taking a Foundation Degree and then a top up degree in education.