1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Best way into teaching as a independent parent ? (financial)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by gdavies5, Feb 11, 2016.

  1. gdavies5

    gdavies5 New commenter


    I've been working as a supply instructor for 4/5 years. I want to qualify as a 'real' teacher but don't know the best way how with regards to finances.

    I don't know if I could do unpaid TT, how would I live/pay child care?!-I can't find info anywhere.

    Secondly I've only worked in seniors, I'd like to try infant, I've emailed a good few school and no one has got back to me. Is there a particular avenue i need to go through?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated
  2. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    There is the possibility of doing a salaried School Direct programme; this is a popular route (understandably!) so there is plenty of competition, but your years of experience in school will stand you in good stead if you decide to apply for this route.

    You should take a look at this website, which gives you all the options for training and funding: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options

    Teaching is popular and schools often have lots of potential volunteers to choose from. Rather than e-mailing, you might consider phoning, writing a letter, or visiting in person - all more personal approaches that might get you more noticed. If you phone or visit, don't do it at the beginning or end of the school day, when those you need to speak to will be at their busiest.
  3. gdavies5

    gdavies5 New commenter

    I've looked into SCITT and doing physics as it the best paid but the more I'm in seniors the more I feel I need to experience the lower age groups which then gives rise to the concern that I'll enjoy it-and its not funded!

    I shall call the schools tomorrow at lunch, thank you for the advice
  4. u004665

    u004665 New commenter

    I am starting School Direct (unsalaried) in September and have just applied for Student Finance and am a single parent. I get up to 85% of my childcare costs covered through the Childcare Grant, and a Parents Learner Allowance of up to £1,573. You could also get a Maintenance Grant of up to £8,200. If another adult relies on you financially you could also get an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to £2,757. You may find it helpful to check what you could get on the Student Finance calculator at www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

    Don’t forget your teaching bursary from DFE See https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/bursaries-and-funding

    Alternatively, you could consider School Direct salaried, perhaps look at UCAS Teacher Training to see what positions have been available in your area (but they may now be full).

    Regarding experiencing, try using EDUBASE to find every school in your area, try calling or emailing.

    Hope this helps!
  5. sparkleghirl

    sparkleghirl Star commenter

    Not sure if it's still the case but there used to be financial incentives for doing physics.

    It's certainly still the case that Physics teachers have much better employment prospects than most. It's worth considering.
  6. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    Physics attracts a bursary of up to £30K. However, you'd need to either have a Physics degree or a significant amount of Physics in your degree.
  7. lotty8

    lotty8 New commenter

    If you do school direct SALARIED you cannot get a tuition fee loan so you will have to come up with upto 9k just to do it (depending on subject and your d grew level)
    Unsalaried comes with the chance of a loan to cover your fees plus a means tested maintenance loan and help with childcare costs.
  8. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    The NCTL funds the salaried route by paying the fee direct to the provider.

Share This Page