1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best way for art teachers to become photography teachers as well??

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Dink_bird, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Dink_bird

Dink_bird New commenter

I'm an art teacher now looking for a permanent job after years of supply work. It seems most schools now want art teachers to teach photography too. Although I have taken short courses in Photoshop and traditional photography, they were a loooong time ago and I've forgotten most of it. I'm trying to revise my knowledge at home, but I'm certainly not confident enough to teach photography yet, although I know the assessment objectives are much like those for fine art. My question is this: can an experienced art teacher learn to teach photography "on the job"? I'm being very honest on my job applications, but will schools take me on if I haven't actually taught it? I guess it depends on how expert the other teachers are and how much support they're willing to give ..any thoughts on this gratefully received - I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this!