1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best visualiser?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Edlee, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hi Tech heads..

I would like to get a visualiser for my reception classroom. I have absolutely no idea when it comes to technology...but I have seen these used in a couple of Early Years classrooms and can think of loads of stuff you could do with them.
    My main uses would probably be.... sharing children's work on the Smartboard, looking closely at small objects, displaying a board for hangman-type spelling games, sharing the pages from a small book etc.
    I have seen the £99 Easi-view on TTS but there are some mixed reviews. The ones I saw being used were bigger abd sturdier looking.
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. I have a samsung in all of my ICT suites:

http://www.wedgwood-group.com/samsung_sdp-860_flatbed_presenter.htm

May be difficult to find them now but its worth trying to get hold of them. Its not worth going for a cheap alternative. Tried this a number of years ago and for a time it put me off the technology. Binned that one and now have these in all of my ICT suites. Tip: Don't use it via the software as there is a time lag. Use the leads only and you will be very, very happy. It also has a SD card slot so I allow students to use it instead of a scanner. A digital projector changed teaching in a positive way and so will this visualiser. In fact I would happily exchange all of our interactive whiteboards for one! What a waste of money they were.

3. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

What benefit is it over the "cheap alternative"? The whiteboard/projectors we have at our school are quite dim and light from windows either side of the classroom, so unless it's got a ridiculous magnification figure (great, but how many times will you actually use it), I don't see the point. There's a post from a few days back on "interesting uses for visualisers in classrooms" that only I've posted something in.... does that say something for potentially £625's worth of kit?

4. Yes the magnification is great however this is not its selling point for me. It all depends how you work. I do not use it for anything that dynamic. Just projecting students work or a page from a book or notices for my tutor group; its an endless list - its one of those things that can make life easier, perhaps not appreciated until you have one. Inexpensive ones rely on software. I just want to turn on technology and use it. I must admit I have got rid of my interactive whiteboard and have a screen thats almost the size of the wall. This way you can see whats being projected clearly. A small interactive whiteboard or a projector that requires you to turn off the light, close the blinds to see it would make me think twice about getting one. Perhaps better to spend the money on these first.

5. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

The veho and many others get recognised by windows as P&P webcams, so they work without software or even drivers in many cases. I'm all for seeing the usefulness if the image is much sharper or the focus is quicker - but I really think anything over £100 for a glorified webcam is ridiculous.

6. did you know most of the free ip camera apps for iphone/android do this job!

7. I have an Easi-teach one from TTS - pros are that it's easy to angle, has a built in light. The cons are it's not amazing picture quality - but it was fine for my year 5s - just don't expect it to pick up light pencil marks! I use my visualiser a lot - at least every day and it does the job OK - but I don't think it was a costly as £99!