1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best versions of AQA GCSE texts

Discussion in 'English' started by streetno9, Jan 21, 2020.

1. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

One of my jobs this year is to source the AQA GCSE Literature reading material for the next academic year. I am interested to know what versions of texts people recommend. Ideally, I'm looking for versions of the following texts that have a decent amount of room for annotations and notes. What versions of texts do people recommend? Specifically, what text versions do people recommend for the following:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
    A Christmas Carol
    An Inspector Calls
    Romeo and Juliet
    Macbeth

Feel free to add in your own recommendations for any of the other texts you teach too.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I like the shorter Shakespeare series: https://www.teachersuperstore.com.au/series/globe-education-shorter-shakespeare/

Good glossaries, lots of images (crucially from theatrical productions) to support meaning, abridged but with all the really important stuff left in - do we really need Peter's exchange with the musicians in Act 4? No.

Only problem with these is that annotations sometimes go through the page, so you have to train the students to put a sheet of scrap paper between their pages.

streetno9 likes this.
  3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

For Shakespeare - something without too many notes. Notes make texts look really hard to understand.
    19th century - legible versions. So many have tiny, closely spaced text. Instantly intimidating.
    AIC - and acting version.

streetno9 likes this.
  4. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Oxford Rollercoasters for 19th Century texts - more expensive but worth it - and your local rep can often do a discount on a bulk order. Nice flexi but durable cover. Not too crowded. Strong paper!
    Cambridge School Shakespeare.
    We don't do AIC but we used to use the Heinemann hardback version.

That said, most student now purchase their own (and we don't insist on all having the same version) so we've less need to keep buying set texts.

streetno9 likes this.
  5. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

We will if it comes up as an extract on the exam.

Studying abridged versions of set texts is against the rules of both AQA’s specification and the National Curriculum.

6. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Really?? Where I am we don't use books but photocopy the materials into booklets..that should be alright shouldn't it?

7. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

8. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Copyright concerns aside, it depends if the whole text is included in the booklets.

These quotations are from the AQA GCSE English Literature specification:
    • '3.1.1 Shakespeare: Students will study one play from the list of six set texts. Students should study the whole text.' (p. 9)
    • '3.1.2 The 19th-century novel: Students will study one novel from the list of seven set texts. Students should study the whole text.' (p. 10)
    • '3.2.1 Modern texts Students will study one from a choice of 12 set texts, which include post-1914 prose fiction and drama. Students should study the whole text.' (p. 10)
    • 'Students should study all 15 poems in their chosen cluster and be prepared to write about any of them in the examination.' (p. 10)
    And from the English Programmes of Study for Key Stage 4 (National Curriculum):
    • 'Pupils should be expected to read whole books' (p. 4)
    • 'Reading [...] should include whole texts.' (p. 5)

pianopete likes this.
  9. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I agree with this but others in my dept make the decisions; perhaps unaware of AQA spec

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

It's not AQA who insist on whole texts; it's the national curriculum!