1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best USB dongle

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Jan 11, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Hi,
    I'd like to purchase a usb dongle so that I can access the internet while away from home. Since I am only rarely away from home, i would prefer one where the credit ran out via dater transfer, not one that runs out after 30 days.
    For example. Next month I have to go away for 2 days. I'd like to take my netbook and use it on the web. If i buy a PAYG from 3 - it costs about £20 but expires after 30 days. I'm unlikely to download anything much during those 2 days. I use the internet mainly for research and for contributing to fora and facebook. Also reading emails. I'm not going to use 20 quids worth of internet. However, I probably won't use the dongle again for several months [it connects to my home connection here].
    I've had a look around but can't seem to find a decent [according to reviews] dongle or provider which does what I want - ie. no time limit, and straight forward PAYG .
    Can anyone reccommend a suitable dongle?
    Thanks.

2. impis

impis New commenter

Hi,
    I'd like to purchase a usb dongle so that I can access the internet while away from home. Since I am only rarely away from home, i would prefer one where the credit ran out via dater transfer, not one that runs out after 30 days.
    For example. Next month I have to go away for 2 days. I'd like to take my netbook and use it on the web. If i buy a PAYG from 3 - it costs about £20 but expires after 30 days. I'm unlikely to download anything much during those 2 days. I use the internet mainly for research and for contributing to fora and facebook. Also reading emails. I'm not going to use 20 quids worth of internet. However, I probably won't use the dongle again for several months [it connects to my home connection here].
    I've had a look around but can't seem to find a decent [according to reviews] dongle or provider which does what I want - ie. no time limit, and straight forward PAYG .
    Can anyone reccommend a suitable dongle?
    Thanks.

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Are you on BT. I used to be on BT Total whatever and they gave me a Dongle which you could top up whenever you wanted. I have since moved to Virgin but despite having no BT contract they have allowed me to keep the dongle and my old btinternet e-mail addresses. Result. The ipad is good in the respect you can just buy a days use if you want this service infrequently x

4. Richie Millions

Of course if you are with BT you will probably have access as Bauble suggests to unsecured networks such as BT Openzone or the BT Fon network which now in London appears to be by and large universally available. If you buy your coffee with a Starbucks card you get free wifi in all their cafes.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

What mobile do you have? HTC (sense) allows you to use your mobile as WiFi for your laptop?

6. If it's like my vodafone one, you have to download the software before first use-which is best done at home. There seems to be no limit on how many pc's you can install the software onto. I have installed it on both my laptop and netbook-it means I can take either over to my mum's house and show her the grand childrens' photos on facebook.
    It also installs a programme to send text messages, which can be useful if you have low battery on your phone.

7. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks. Thats very reassuring.

8. I looked into this last year, but where I'd use it was generally poor for signal-I think you can check out in store the different makes for UK coverage and that could be a factor depending on where you need to use it.

9. Richie Millions

As a general rule they act like a mobile phone. So if you can't get mobile coverage it is also likely your Dongle will not work. I guess there must still be some coverage blackspots left in the UK.

10. Mine actually has a mobile sim card in it (with its own mobile number) so exactly like a mobile phone (there is also a slot for a memory card).
    I plumped for, and stayed with, Vodafone (for mobile and dongle) as it still has the best coverage wherever I've been in the UK from the extrreme north west coast of Scotland on a diving holiday to camping in Corwall. I remember visiting a residential school in the Lake District and getting a phone call on my mobile-the staff were amazed that anyone could get a mobile signal as they had never been able to use their mobiles at work due to lack of signal.

11. I have just noticed on 'my voucher codes' that you can get a free Vodafone pay as you go dongle if you already have a vodafone contract. Sorry I dont know how to post hyperlinks but the url where I read it is
    http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/discounts/vodafone.co.uk?_$ja=tsid:27565&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NL_13.01.2011%20%281%29&utm_content=