1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best tips for a Nursery teacher

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jomaimai, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Koodlesch

Koodlesch New commenter

I have been an EYFS teacher for a little over 10 years and I also use songs in my classroom. Whether it's tidying up or lining up, I find that it really helps the children listen to you more.
    And when they are being noisy or just super chatty my go-to favourite song to make then listen to me is 'If you're happy and you know it!'. I just sing it loudly and they usually clap their hands and then wait for my next instruction.

Also like someone suggested earlier, when you notify them that they will transition into the next activity, it usually helps the children know what's going on. I usually do the count down from 5 mins, then 2 mins and then 10 secs.
    I hope this is useful! :)

bekastks likes this.
  2. lreddy2019

lreddy2019 New commenter

really awesome ...

[​IMG]

3. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

Love this tip. I love having families send photos that can be displayed and shared during circle. It's very helpful to ease anxiety in young learners, and it's a great social/emotional "getting to know each other" activity.

4. CJL

CJL New commenter

Hello,

I teach in a Special School for children with severe special needs, including many on the autistic spectrum. ASC now C=condition

I have in recent years worked in 1 state Nursery with a boy with ASC and global delay and a private nursery with.one boy with high functioning ASC.

The most important thing is to use very little language with the child; even if the child has speech their level of understanding will be lower than you think.

A visual timetable is great, taking the activity symbols/pictures off as you progress from welcome time through to home time.

Use some basic Makaton sign language and sign as you speak, this will help lots of the cohort.

Try to see if the child can recognise photos and use these to give visual information about different areas of the school or specific laminate pictures, they may need to be A5 or smaller.

Ask for help for outreach from your local special needs school, free for school. You will receive a visit and help and support for you.

I find Intensive Interaction a great tool.It takes the pressure away from communication demands, you engage with the child by mimicing their facial and body language joining the child in their moment. You should be sensitive and take little opportunities to interact in this way. If the child vocalises you echo and enjoy the experience as one naturally relates to a baby. When a relationship and secure communication builds you can challenge the child by adding in movements and vocalisations for them to copy.

Any questions please ask

Jane