1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best tips for a Nursery teacher

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jomaimai, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Hello all,

I though it will be useful to share the things that make your life easier in an EYFS class.

Here goes my tip:
    • for pegs labels get the photos of every child with the main carer (the one that regularly picks the child up from school). This can be done during home visits or the first days of school. It has save me, my TAs, volunteers, supply teachers... lots of checks. It is also very nice for the children, they love to look at the photos, and you can have nice talks about their family...
    and another from Anna Ephgrave's book that I love
    • get a suspension file for each child and a file box to drop any photos, observation, work... instantly. Then, you just need to grab the child's file to work on their Learning journey.
    Please, share yours.

2. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I love the tip about getting a photograph with the main carer.

One tip that I introduced into my F1 class was to also have a photograph taken with the child's key worker. This not only went into their learning journal and was displayed on the key worker board but it was great to also show the children during circle time to encourage key worker discussions.

An OFSTED inspector really praised this, as some of his questions to the children were about their key workers (i.e Do you know who your key worker is? / Do you know who to talk to if you have a problem?) Just a little tip that I've shared ever since.

Mr Primary, Gemget84 and jomaimai like this.
  3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @jomaimai, this is a really good idea so I have pinned this discussion in the hope that others will share their tips as well.

4. Jammy69

Jammy69 New commenter

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Get the children to articulate heir needs, modelling the request as appropriate. For example, never just put a coat on a child who simply holds it up and grunts. Ask them what they want you to do, and help them put their request into words.

Encourage the children to help each other with that sort of simple task.

When they take a tumble and burst into automatic tears even though they've not really hurt themselves, enourage independence by launching into 'Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again, BOOM BOOM!' If you don't know the tune, do a google.

NEVER use baby talk with them. They're intelligent, developing human beings who deserve to be spoken to in real English.

6. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Thank you!
    Someone is not that "busy" doing Profile books!

Mr Primary likes this.
  7. mandybear212

mandybear212 New commenter

Good idea to always tell the children what you are doing and what they will be doing next. Always acknowledge the objects seen and being used to promote language development.

8. Gemget84

Gemget84 New commenter

I like this idea too. I have only seen pictures with the people who pick the children up so I will be sure to implement this when I get a job!!

Mr Primary likes this.
  9. rosie_rj

rosie_rj New commenter

I've had a recent ofsted and will table about some of the things they liked!
    Have a password system set up. Ask the main cares to give you a password if anyone else comes to collect the child other then themselves they have to give you the password before you release. This is good safeguarding practice that Ofsted love. That way if there is any cover etc or someone doesn't know parents you have a system set up.
    Have a visual timetable that encourages independence. So you are showing you are pushing this everyday. Have a clear consistent daily routine! I use a 'now and next' so they children know what they are doing.
    Set up your table tops based on your child's interests-which I know everyone does but just make sure you pencil this on any weekly plans-good for ofsted!
    Have a PSED display- values of nursery friendships etc
    Have some higher level questions to extend play displayed-for staff e.g 'What could you add to your picture to make it better?' 'What do you think you should do with the empty glue pot?'
    Have the children name cards at a level that the children can get to. I have my stuck to the wall using Velcro so they children can take them down when they need to write their name.
    Have resources in pictured labeled boxes so the children can select what they want to play with/use this encourages creativity.

Mr Primary, FigmentOYI and jomaimai like this.
  10. Gemget84

Gemget84 New commenter

Hi Rosie... thanks. More great ideas. Thanks for your input

rosie_rj likes this.
  11. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

jomaimai likes this.
  12. Mr Primary

Mr Primary New commenter

I was a Nursery teacher for 3 years and now am a Reception Teacher, here are 10 tips from me,

Nagawgaw likes this.
  13. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

A bit late, i know (only just saw this thread) but don't forget to sometimes tell a story without a book or props. You'll have to do it well, so rehearse at home if need be.

jomaimai likes this.
  14. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

At "tidy up time " sit with the bin in front of you. Make it a competition. Everybody has to bring at least three bits of rubbish to the bin. Works a treat!