1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best time to apply for a job in the UAE?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Katjab2001, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Katjab2001

Katjab2001 New commenter

Hi! I'd like to teach in the UAE next school year 2016. When is the best time for me to start applying for teaching jobs in i.e. Dubai? How long does the application process usually take?

Thank you!

2. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

The best time is never. You will thank me on an alternate universe where you go and regret it.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Most international teaching jobs in the ME start appearing in the TES from about November onwards and then it tends to trail off at the end of March or maybe April. Having said that, vacancies can pop up in odd places and at strange times. There is no "standard" procedure and no set time limit. The SEARCH fair in Dubai is usually in January, I think, but of course this will not be the only jobfair that has teaching vacancies in the ME. SLT vacancies tend to be advertised earlier, as the selection process tends to take longer.

How long does the application process take? How long is a piece of string? Some schools will put an advert into the TES and then you will fire off an application. Then it might be several weeks before they bother to make any significant contact. Some schools are happy with SKYPE interviews, while others insist on a face-to-face interview. Again, there is no "standard" or "one-size-fits-all" way of doing things.

As for the business of taking up references, this can be amazingly slow.

If a school cannot fill all of its vacancies for the next academic year by the end of March or April, then teacher recruitment agencies will often start to take over. Recruitment through agencies can rumble on through June and even July.

4. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

"I'd like to teach in the UAE next school year 2016"

Why?

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

The parents are ever-demanding, because they think paying for an education entitles them to interfere in everything they do, and school management invariable side with parents and will run you ragged.

It's also expensive, whilst the salaries may look sufficient, it will be a struggle.

Good luck if you decide to go.

5. the hippo

Well, larathegiraffe, I did meet some nice Gulf Arabs on my travels in the Middle East (Saudi, Egypt, the UAE and Qatar). The general consensus on this forum is that Omanis are lovely and I would go along with that. However, many teenage boys from the Gulf region are pretty ghastly specimens and no one in their right could possibly want to teach them or go anywhere near them. Of course there might be some schools in the UAE that have a lot of expat students and few (if any) of the locals. Perhaps these schools might be okay.

While I was in Qatar, my school had one or two brushes with the Supreme (And Absolutely Perfect) Education Council. This incompetent bunch of idiots seem to take a deep and perverse pleasure in making problems for international schools. (New international schools are opening all the time in Qatar, as the Qatari government's schools are so dreadful.)

As for your comments on the legal system in many Gulf states, larathegiraffe, I would absolutely agree with you. Qatari court cases seem to take forever and you cannot leave the country until your case is over (which it won't be any time soon). And it must have been your fault because you are a foreigner.

6. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

This from larathegiraffe - '

Does this not amount to racism?

Not forgetting this comment:

'I wouldn't wish teaching teenage boys in either of those countries on anyone, as they are the most offensive, disgusting, lazy, cheating apologies for human beings on the planet...And their parents are even worse.'

Which goes out of its way to be offensive and is also logically absurd. If the former are the most of this and that, then how can their parents be worse?

7. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

Despite my own reservations about Qatar (Id never ever ever ever dream of going back even for a flight in transit) there are those who do like it. There are schools where the majority are not locals and the behaviour is actually good. There are schools that will house you in a villa in a compound and pay very well. These are few and far between. You have about a 1% chance of landing one. If you do, you'll probably stay a while. If you don't (and god help you if you don't) it will be the hardest most miserable, difficult, soul destroying experience of your life. So, do you feel lucky punk? The odds are better than a lottery win but you'd be crazy to take a punt at 99-1. Don't do it.

8. the hippo

Hmm. A difficult one. It seems that the TES moderators have been using their scissors and chopped out one or two of larathegiraffe's comments. Where and when does honest and frank comment upon one's experiences in a particular country become offensive, unbalanced and racist? Yes, I did have the pleasure to teach some charming, hard-working and polite Qatari students (not always girls), but I must be truthful and say that on the whole they are a pretty dreadful lot.

One of my favourite buildings in Doha is the Central Post Office, a modern thing on the Corniche resembling an enormous concrete beehive. Sometimes I would go there to collect letters and parcels. I remember standing in a queue for about twenty minutes and in a parallel queue was an African. Just as he got to the front of the queue, having queued quietly and patiently for longer than I had, an arrogant Qatari pushed in front of him and told him loudly that Qataris have priority. No one said a word in protest. Neither, to my shame, did I.